Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:42:57 PM

I was charged for a service I did not want. It selected the TURBOTAX PREMIUM SERVICES BUNDLE by default which I did not realize after payment was made.

I paid with a credit card, but had originally selected the pay with Return option. When i switched payment option, it included benefit by default.

0 25 2529
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:43:01 PM

Can i get my money back for this issue ?

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:02 PM

This happened to me too. There was NO OPTION to remove or delete before paying.

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:04 PM

I had an identical experience--charged for the Max Service when I originally declined it.  I've submitted a complaint to Consumer Affairs since this billing practice is unethical.  There are similar complaints--just google "Consumer Affairs TurboTax Max".  I recommend that you file a similar complaint since TurboTax will not refund the money.

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:04 PM

The same thing happened for me! This is so annoying

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:05 PM

Me too!  I went and paid with my CC  so that way it wouldn't automatically charge it (to pay fee from my refund was automatic auto defense- which i didn't want) and it still charged it.  I couldn't figure out how to remove it!  Now I'm seeing everywhere people are upset at this!  I'm thinking of just revoking the authorization with my CC and repaying it without the defense.

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:06 PM

Totally shady way of getting $39.99!  No authorization of charge, no agreement, nothing telling you that you will be charged deluxe...A SCAM!  Then Customer Service Agent says that INTUIT did not charge my credit card, but a 3rd party company...WTF?!!  I am going to dispute the charge!

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:06 PM

This same thing just happened to me as well.  What the heck??????

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:08 PM

Same thing here. I thought intuite was above this type of shady dealing but guess I was wrong.

Returning Member
Jun 7, 2019 3:43:09 PM

actually, it forces you to review the order before you choose your payment option and even has a remove button next to those bundles....

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:10 PM

@roger38232 This was two years ago, they have fixed the issue since then. But thanks!

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:12 PM

Yes, the issue was fixed for the 2018 filing period.  The original posting remains true at the time it was submitted (last year).

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:13 PM

I just got charged for Max Defend and I didn't want it.

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:15 PM

Same thing but they charged me $49.99 for max!

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:16 PM

Yep that is what they charged me.  I called them and they said they would reverse the charges on my credit card but it hasn't happened yet.

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:18 PM

Same thing !!  They told me i would be refunded  within 4 to 6 weeks , and its been close to 3 months. Still no refund, and every time i call they tell me they will look into when i can expect my refund and call me back and i never get a call.  I will not EVER use there service again  !!  

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:20 PM

This just happened to me. They charged me for max defense and I never use that. I’ve never gotten that. I will be calling tomorrow!

Jun 7, 2019 3:43:23 PM

WTF!!! im pissed

Apr 27, 2020 5:36:19 PM

This just happened to me in the last hour.  I am FURIOUS.  I did NOT want the Max.  I assumed when I went to Pay, the option would be there to CHECK that I wanted it, not that I had it automatically in my purchase.  I feel very duped.   That was the biggest bait and switch I've had try to hit me in a while, and They got me.  That's fraud, IMHO.  Thanks for the guidance where to send complaints.  I may hit up the Texas Attorney General's Office too.  This is really sneaky stuff.   And especially to hit people with this when we're going through Unemployment for COVID-19.... I just can't with the sleaziness.

Returning Member
Jun 30, 2020 12:59:25 PM

I just discovered this has happened to me also. This sounds like a scam. 

Employee Tax Expert
Jun 30, 2020 1:47:11 PM

It depends.

Typically, when you select your product, you are given options to upgrade.  It sounds like you may have inadvertently selected this option.

Premium services bundle details

If you feel this was an error, please use the following link to contact us.

Let the agent know what happened and they will be able to assist you. 

Contact TurboTax 

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2021 7:37:57 PM

What number did you used to call them I can’t find a number or email

Returning Member
Mar 2, 2021 7:42:01 PM

I agree totally with you just tell me where and who I need to call to complain as well they took what my money our only got $300 back

Intuit Alumni
Mar 3, 2021 9:04:03 AM

@Kishawalton

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support, you will be given the correct number to call for your situation:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Apr 17, 2023 2:08:13 PM

No option to remove it.