Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 2, 2021 11:08:08 AM

I'm getting an error message: 1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large. Can't get it fixed

This won't let me submit and I tried to delete the extra forms and start again and it still wouldn't work.

0 23 5361
1 Best answer
Level 15
Feb 2, 2021 11:20:09 AM

That's not line 11 of Form 1040. It's line 11 of the Deferral Smart Worksheet for Schedule 3 line 12e. To get rid of the error, don't enter anything on line 11. When the error comes up, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

If line 10 of the Smart Worksheet is negative, you are not eligible to defer any of the Social Security portion of the self-employment tax.

23 Replies
Level 15
Feb 2, 2021 11:20:09 AM

That's not line 11 of Form 1040. It's line 11 of the Deferral Smart Worksheet for Schedule 3 line 12e. To get rid of the error, don't enter anything on line 11. When the error comes up, delete the zero (or whatever is there) and leave the box empty.

If line 10 of the Smart Worksheet is negative, you are not eligible to defer any of the Social Security portion of the self-employment tax.

Level 3
Feb 6, 2021 7:18:25 PM

Federal review won't let me have an empty box. It gives me a popup saying invalid entry.

Level 2
Feb 9, 2021 1:10:15 PM

Having the same problem - "1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large".

Cannot delete the red "0." that TurboTax put there. Highlighting it and clicking on it brings up a Supporting Details box.  Highlighting it and hitting Ctrl X does nothing, as does Ctrl D.  Copying a blank line from the form and pasting it in the line 11 box won't work either.  

POSSIBLE FIX:

Since I do have a -ve amount (i.e. a refund) on line 10, I used Ctrl D to set line 10 to zero -- and the error message for line 11 is now fixed.    

Level 2
Feb 9, 2021 1:17:20 PM

I was having the same problem - "1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large".

I couldn't delete the red "

" that TurboTax put there. Highlighting it and clicking on it brings up a Supporting Details box.  Highlighting it and hitting Ctrl X does nothing, as does Ctrl D.  Copying a blank line from the form and pasting it in the line 11 box won't work either.  

POSSIBLE FIX:

Since I do have a -ve amount (i.e. a refund) on line 10, I used Ctrl D (override) to set line 10 to zero -- the error message for line 11 is now fixed and the federal review found no errors.    

Level 1
Feb 9, 2021 2:27:38 PM

Don't delete it on the form, that won't work. Delete it in the entry box about the form.

Level 2
Feb 9, 2021 3:47:49 PM

Where is  the entry box about the form?

Level 15
Feb 9, 2021 5:11:15 PM

@MikeO1  The Supporting Details on line 11 is what is causing your problem. Open the Supporting Details. At the top of the Supporting Details window click Remove, then click Yes to confirm the removal.

Then remove the override from line 10. It's okay for line 10 to be negative. An override will prevent e-filing and voids the accurate calculations guarantee.

After removing the Supporting Details, line 11 will be empty. With line 11 empty and the override removed, the error should be gone.

Level 2
Feb 9, 2021 7:11:06 PM

Yes, that worked.  Thank you!

Level 1
Feb 10, 2021 1:58:24 PM

How exactly do you do this? I'm having the same issue and I'm not trying to defer my self employment tax payments

Level 15
Feb 10, 2021 3:15:21 PM

@tm31765  In Smart Check, when you get the error "1040/1040SR Wks: Line 11 is too large," delete the zero, or whatever is on line 11. Leave the box empty. That will get rid of the error.

Level 1
Feb 10, 2021 3:18:39 PM

I did that but when I went back the same thing pops up. I'm guessing just to leave it blank and keep couniting to override the error. I'm at the end and its not saying a mistake and letting me file. Did I do it correct if this is happening? 

Level 15
Feb 10, 2021 3:22:12 PM

@tm31765  If Schedule 3 line 12e is blank, or if there is no Schedule 3 in your tax return, then it should be okay.

Level 1
Feb 10, 2021 3:30:19 PM

this is under deferral for certain schduele H or SE filers smart worksheet.  12e is blank  

Feb 15, 2021 9:12:22 AM

1. double click line 11 in forms

2.  Supporting details will pop up

3.   check box. (do not print)

4.  click "remove supporting details"

line 11 will go blank and problem fixed

Level 2
Feb 15, 2021 10:28:37 AM

Yep, that fixes it -- at least until it comes back again when I run the review.  

Feb 22, 2021 3:19:20 PM

Ok folks, I’ve read all the posts and here is what I think: I can trick the system and get rid of the “0” ‘s but is that a warranty issue with TURBO TAX? Also, if you trick the program will it let you E-FILE?

Here is another thing I discovered.  If you trick the program and get rid of the error and your not sure it’s really gone and you go back and run the Federal Review and then run  Smart Check.....guess what.... that error pops right back up!

I think Turbo Tax needs to fix this!!!

PS. I also have a negative number on line 10. 

Level 2
Feb 22, 2021 3:23:20 PM

That's exactly my experience also, except I haven't tried to e-file yet.  

Not applicable
Feb 22, 2021 5:05:28 PM

Please Contact us so we can help.

Feb 24, 2021 4:20:11 PM

I just called their help line.  All you have to do is clear out the 0 on line 11 of the Deferral Smart Worksheet for Schedule 3 line 12e and problem is fixed

Expert Alumni
Feb 24, 2021 5:08:23 PM

The line 11 of Form 1040 is your adjusted gross income.  Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is gross income minus adjustments to income. Gross income includes wages, dividends, capital gains, business income, retirement distributions, and other income; while adjustments to Income include Educator expenses, Student loan interest, Alimony payments or contributions to a retirement account. 

Your AGI will never be more than your Gross Total Income on you return and in some cases may be lower.

You may have to review your data entries such as income and deductions and check for errors:

1. Click Federal Review located on the upper right hand side of the screen .
  2. Click review to each details ,and it will take you to the form/s that had error/s..
  3. You do the same on your state income tax. 
  4. When done fixing, go back to Federal Review to check if the return is ready to e-file.

Level 2
Feb 24, 2021 5:26:16 PM

To clear out the 0 on line 11, I needed to remove the Supporting Details form.  That fixed it until I reran the final check -- then the 0 reappeared.  So I deleted it again and skipped the final check.  

Mar 14, 2021 10:53:51 AM

I continue to get that same error even when I delete the 0 - what should I do?

Expert Alumni
Mar 15, 2021 10:59:31 AM

Try entering nothing at all if the system will not allow you to enter 0.

Run the review again.

If this does not clear the error, try:

1. Delete the Sch SE that applies--(Sch SE-T is for Taxpayer, Sch SE-S for Spouse)--by following these steps:
    1. From the left menu, select Tax Tools.
    2. Select Tools.
    3. Scroll to Delete a Form.
    4. Scroll to Sch SE-T and/or Sch SE-S and select Delete.
  2. Return to the self-employment income & expenses interview in the Income & Expenses section and select Edit/Add.
    1. Select Edit for your business.
    2. Scroll down to Done so that the Sch SE is recalculated. 
    3. Finish any other questions in the self-employment interview and click Continue.
  3. Review the return again.

If this does not clear the error, then click this link for more information: 

Workaround for Sch SE-T error for deferring Self-Employment Taxes.

@thomascain47