Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Nov 15, 2019 10:20:28 AM

I just downloaded Turbo tax 2019; however, a desktop icon was not provided. How do I get one placed on my desktop?

0 32 6358
24 Replies
Level 15
Nov 15, 2019 11:17:36 AM

Did you install the software?  What computer OS version is installed?  Windows or Mac?

Not applicable
Nov 15, 2019 1:18:11 PM

if it's a win 10 computer, I understand a recent update to win 10 has caused problems with TT.

make sure all win 10 updates are installed.   reboot twice.   try reinstallation of TT.  

it this fails contact

Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time (8-8 Eastern) Monday - Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Nov 22, 2019 5:12:23 PM

I just downloaded Turbo tax 2019; however, a desktop icon was not provided. How do I get one placed on my desktop?  My OS is Microsoft 10

Nov 22, 2019 5:14:00 PM

Windows

Level 15
Nov 22, 2019 5:28:48 PM

meyering1 

You only said "downloaded."   So have you not yet installed the TurboTax program after downloading the installation file?   At the end of installation it should place a TurboTax icon on the Windows desktop.   If you did install the program, but it didn't create a shortcut icon, we can tell you how to create a TurboTax shortcut icon to place on the Windows desktop, which is the same method to create any program's shortcut icon to launch a program's executable.

Level 2
Jan 5, 2020 8:56:58 PM

I had the TurboTax Icon but now it's changes to a generic.  Also on Windows 10.  It'd be nice if TurboTax would post their Icon where I could download it.

Jan 7, 2020 8:30:17 AM

turbo tax shortcut

Jan 7, 2020 8:30:49 AM

windows

Level 15
Jan 7, 2020 3:25:59 PM

@Ted Perzak wrote:

turbo tax shortcut

Here's how to create a shortcut in Windows:

Click the Windows Start icon in the bottom left of your taskbar to display a list of all your programs.

Scroll down the list to TurboTax 2019.

Click on that to expand, and it will show TurboTax 2019 again, which is a link to the executable.

Left-click on it and HOLD, then drag it to your desktop screen and release the left button.   That will deposit the shortcut on your desktop.

Intuit Alumni
Jan 8, 2020 9:06:18 AM

To create a desktop icon or shortcut for TurboTax, please do the following:

1. Browse to the TurboTax file on your hard disk for which you want to create a shortcut.
  2. Right-click the file for which you want to create a shortcut.
  3. Select Create Shortcut from the menu.
  4. Drag the shortcut to the desktop or any other folder.
  5. Rename the shortcut.

Level 2
Jan 13, 2020 1:45:03 PM

Windows 10.  Icon for TT and a few other programs became generic Icons after Windows did an update.  Tried doing a "repair" of TT but that crashed.  Ended up reinstalling TT (and the other programs).  All is well now but it was very frustrating.

Expert Alumni
Jan 13, 2020 4:25:18 PM

Here's how to create a TurboTax shortcut in Windows:

1. Click the Windows Start icon in the bottom left of your taskbar to display a list of all your programs.
  2. Scroll down the list to TurboTax 2019.
  3. Click on that to expand, and it will show TurboTax 2019 again, which is a link to the executable.
  4. Left-click on it and HOLD, then drag it to your desktop screen and release the left button.   That will deposit the shortcut on your desktop.

Other helpful instruction for adding a desktop icon for TurboTax id one is not created during download can be found in this discussion.

Returning Member
Jan 15, 2020 12:15:06 PM

I cannot find my turbo tax 2019, I have already paid and need to get started. My login is [email address removed]. Please help

Returning Member
Jan 15, 2020 12:16:00 PM

No. I cannot find the email to download it.

Returning Member
Jan 15, 2020 12:16:25 PM

Windows

Level 15
Jan 15, 2020 12:18:18 PM

@Irvinsolt wrote:

I cannot find my turbo tax 2019, I have already paid and need to get started. My login is [email address removed]. Please help

Sign onto your download account using the same User ID you used to purchase the software - https://shopping.turbotax.intuit.com/unified/downloads?route=myaccounts

Level 2
Feb 1, 2020 2:24:48 PM

Although the TT Icon shows in the windows list, a generic icon comes up when I drag it to the desktop and release the left button.

Level 15
Feb 1, 2020 3:51:23 PM

@samiller34 wrote:

Although the TT Icon shows in the windows list, a generic icon comes up when I drag it to the desktop and release the left button.

That's different than what I experience.  I'm using Windows 10, and when I drag it to the desktop and release, the TurboTax logo remains on the shortcut.   So in your situation, somehow the icon logo is dissociated from your shortcut.  Is your created shortcut functional--does it launch the program?   Are you just wanting to change the appearance of the shortcut icon for cosmetic purposes?

Check to see if you even have the image for the TurboTax icon on your computer.   I suspect you DO, since you said you saw the icon present in the Windows programs Start list.  

In any case, the icon is named TurboTax.ico ("ico" not "icon") and is located in the following folder, depending on your product edition (Deluxe, Premier, etc.) :

C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\[product edition] 2019\32bit

See if this alternate method of creating a shortcut makes any difference, but it may not.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/how-can-i-make-a-shortcut-to-turbotax-2018-on-my-desktop-in-prior-versions-that-was-done/00/615558

Otherwise, if that didn't work, I don't know all the inner tricks in Windows 10 to re-associate the logo icon to a generic-appearing shortcut.   Are you doing it from a Windows 10 administrator-user account or a regular Windows user account?  I don't know if that would make any difference, but if you have both, it's easy to try.

Someone else may add to the thread. A Windows geek probably knows how to do it.    Otherwise, you could phone TurboTax Support and see if they have a suggestion.    If your shortcut is functional as it is, then you'll need to decide how much time you want to spend on trying to get the logo re-associated.  

Mar 1, 2020 12:23:31 PM

mine did not even complete loading. It is nothing but trouble this year.

Level 15
Mar 1, 2020 5:00:55 PM

@patricia69 wrote:

mine did not even complete loading. It is nothing but trouble this year.

If you need assistance with an installation issue, you can start a new thread that will show up to the whole forum, and someone may be able to assist you or tell you how to phone Customer Support. 

You can start your new thread at the link below.  Once there, click the blue

"Ask a Question"

button.   The title line has limited space so it's for a summary that tells your issue.  Then there is a box below that line where you can explain any details, any error messages, what operating system version, etc.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

Mar 29, 2020 8:48:42 PM

how do I my turbo tax 2019 placed on my desktop?

Intuit Alumni
Mar 30, 2020 8:26:30 AM

@Corazon2a Are you trying to save your filed return to your desktop computer? If so, the following TurboTax FAQ will walk you through how to save it: How do I save my 2019 TurboTax Online return as a PDF? 

Returning Member
May 14, 2020 7:52:55 AM

How to get turbo tax icon on desk top

Returning Member
May 14, 2020 7:53:35 AM

Windows