Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Oct 13, 2019 7:01:08 PM

How do I stop TurboTax from requiring an update and a restart every time I start TurboTax and open my return even though I just closed it? Happened >5 times in a row.

1 41 11986
24 Replies
Level 15
Oct 13, 2019 7:09:18 PM

You could keep the TT program open even when you save the tax file.  Then you would not have to be annoyed by closing and opening, updating, etc.   Then all you would need to do is go to File and click on Open Tax Return.  If you are worried about someone seeing the return, save it with an encrypted password.

Level 15
Oct 14, 2019 8:57:15 AM

You can choose another option for the  updates ... and you should after you file ...  click on ONLINE ...

Now if you have not filed you will need to update before you can efile. 

Level 2
Apr 17, 2020 5:09:37 PM

but it is always the same update , it does it to me all the time , if i close the program and turn the pc off when i go back to start turbotax it requires to update the same updates every time or it wont let the program open up 

Level 15
Apr 17, 2020 9:01:42 PM

First step,

you should uninstall TurboTax, and then reinstall it.

Nov 24, 2020 6:46:24 AM

I there a way to keep this from happening even though they are last year returns?

Level 15
Nov 24, 2020 6:58:37 AM

@brownflight1 wrote:

I there a way to keep this from happening even though they are last year returns?

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Updater Preferences

Choose the option for Ask me before getting updates or I do not have an internet connection

Level 2
Feb 27, 2021 12:56:20 PM

It's now 2020 and the same problem/issues remain. I'm on Mac, no matter if I close or leave open for a few days I have to download the same 248MB update EVERY TIME!.  What can you do to prevent this???  This is the second year , same issue.  I will change to another tax software if this is not fixed.  HELP!!!

Intuit Alumni
Feb 27, 2021 1:14:59 PM

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for a resolution to this repeated update prompt you are receiving:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Aviator11

Level 2
Mar 2, 2021 8:21:13 AM

TT is not doing anything to fix this problem, I've used this program for over fifteen years but I am going to change for next year , the last 3 years TT its always requiring to update or it wont let you finish also it takes too much time to transfer last year information ,, not good Turbo Tax

Mar 2, 2021 8:28:54 AM

Thanks Racso,

I figured as much as I have used TT many years too.

On the update and then download is TTpossible extracting your personal tax information?

Mar 2, 2021 8:31:24 AM

I don't see an "Online" prompt.  I do my tax on the downloaded TT disc program.

Level 2
Mar 2, 2021 8:43:19 AM

It is extracting the info after browsing for the file , but when you ask it to transfer a tax file it take long to do it , what bothers me more is that it never finish updating, the program is always  requiring and update many times the same update its like it does not remember it got it already 

Level 15
Mar 2, 2021 8:44:43 AM

@brownflight1 wrote:

I don't see an "Online" prompt.  I do my tax on the downloaded TT disc program.

That is for a Windows PC using the TurboTax software.

If you have a Mac click on the TurboTax menu, it may be there.  But I am not a Mac user.

Level 2
Mar 2, 2021 8:46:46 AM

I am using windows ,  CD/download 

Level 2
Mar 4, 2021 5:35:54 PM

I think I've found the solution! Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect from the Internet: either turn off your WiFi connection to your router, or unplug your Ethernet cable. (You can also unplug the router itself, or disable the internet connection in other ways)

2. Open TT and get the "update" message, but now it says "To get software updates, you need to connect to the Internet".

3. Click on "Cancel"; TT comes up without downloading and installing the updates. You can open a previously started return, for example.

4. Re-connect your computer to the internet.

4. I've found that, next time you want to start TT after a shutdown, it'll come up without asking to do updates; it seems to now remember that you don't have access (even though you do).

6. At some point (say, prior to doing a final check), you might want to "force" an update (either download the 250MB update file, or do it from within TT -- Online / Check for Updates).

I hope this works for everyone!

Apr 9, 2021 11:38:42 AM

How do I stop Turbo Tax from requiring updates every time I open it

Intuit Alumni
Apr 9, 2021 11:48:56 AM

Please check the response that DoninGA made above @Joaurora.

Jun 10, 2021 2:56:43 AM

You don't have to do all of this. When you click update and the new update window opens, just cancel the update. It will ask if you are sure and say yes. Then it will open TT without updating.  It used to give you an option but for some reason forces an update even months after you've filed your return and just need to look something up. Silly.

Level 3
Jun 25, 2021 5:49:09 AM

This doesn't work.  TT will not open if I cancel.

Sep 29, 2021 6:46:16 PM

I have a customer who doesn't have internet. He comes over here for me to update his Turbo Tax. But recently it's been complaining to him about contacting an update URL and won't let him run the software anymore until it does. We have the option to 'ask before update' and 'I don't have an internet connection' selected already.

He has a router with other computers, but no internet. My theory is that since his network settings has a Gateway and DNS programmed into it, TT thinks there is internet and tries to contact the update URL anyway, disregarding the option we've selected stating that we don't have internet.

I've told him when he takes it home to not enter any Gateway and DNS to see if TT will run again without internet. Very very annoying Intuit has a product that is REQUIRING an internet connection. This may very well be a bug, but it's one annoying one at that.

Hopefully if anyone else who doesn't have an internet connection having this problem can try to remove those network settings and hopefully have some success.

UPDATE 9/30/21: Turns out the Gateway and/or DNS had no issue. What made TurboTax actually not run was while a Seagate 5TB USB drive was plugged in, TT refused to run. Unplug the drive and TT runs, plug it back in and TT doesn't run. There's the major bug in TT. If anyone has USB drives or large drives plugged in, try and remove them before running TurboTax 2020.

Level 2
Feb 12, 2022 5:30:30 PM

Thanks for posting. Works like a charm.

Returning Member
Feb 16, 2022 7:56:47 PM

That should not be the answer. Intuit messes up the program. Three years ago, the program would restart at the stopped-point of the last use. Now it restarts at the beginning.

Level 1
Mar 12, 2022 1:36:45 PM

This is good advise. I struggled for almost 2 hours searching all the "google" articles on this issue....between administrative name and PW requirements...to TurboTax just simply not allowing me to access my 85% done return. This is f....king insane! Who thought this was a good software feature.

my experience - turn off your computer power (I'm on a MACbook Pro). Power pack up. THEN - disconnect your physical internet connection OR kill your WiFi connection - whatever feeds you computer internet. Then you can access the TurboxTax saved file. No request for updates!.... and you are back to where you left off.

I haven't had this issue in 8 years - until this 2021 return. I will likely not use TurboTax again because of this "feature".

Mar 21, 2022 7:16:15 PM

I have spent 2-3 hours trying to bypass the required update; This is very frustrating. Also I did the manual update successfully but somehow the TT software does not recognize the update when I launch TT so what good is it?