• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 4:13:56 PM

How do I restart my taxes?

0 32 15242
1 Best answer
Jun 7, 2019 4:14:06 PM

In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch if you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.

2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).

3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm

24 Replies
Level 2
Jun 7, 2019 4:13:56 PM

Do you want to delete and start over?

Jun 7, 2019 4:13:58 PM

Yes

Jun 7, 2019 4:14:00 PM

Yes

Jun 7, 2019 4:14:02 PM

yes

Jun 7, 2019 4:14:03 PM

I want to restart my state taxes

Jun 7, 2019 4:14:05 PM

I wont to redo my taxes

Jun 7, 2019 4:14:06 PM

In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch if you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.

2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).

3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm

Level 1
Jan 20, 2020 12:49:20 PM

Thanks it worked

Expert Alumni
Jan 30, 2020 10:56:03 AM

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Feb 4, 2020 3:54:59 PM

There no “tax tools” menu. I’m on the turbo tax website, mobile. The only button I see it “delete your intuit data” Is that it? Or will that delete all my information, including last years tax info?

Expert Alumni
Feb 4, 2020 4:11:51 PM

Here is where you can find your TaxTools:

1. Select Tax Home on the left hand side of your screen,
  2. Select Continue under Personal Info (this will allow the left side menu to open up),

Once you select Tax Tools, you can select Tools, and then Clear & Start Over.

Mar 3, 2020 11:36:29 AM

Yes i do i want delete an start over

Expert Alumni
Mar 3, 2020 11:42:10 AM

As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Apr 6, 2020 6:24:35 PM

Hi hi

Expert Alumni
Apr 6, 2020 7:18:29 PM

You do have the option Clear and Start Over your return. To choose this option:

1. Click Tax Tools
  2. Click Clear & Start Over
  3. Confirm

While this will require you to redo the return in its entirety, it will also delete any and all forms associated with the return.

Clear & Start Over

Apr 10, 2020 5:21:37 PM

Started my tax and would like to go back to finish my taxes

Apr 10, 2020 5:22:34 PM

No.

Apr 10, 2020 5:34:38 PM

Start my taxes and can't get back to were I left off

Jun 11, 2020 10:49:06 AM

Update some information

Feb 3, 2021 9:47:01 AM

Yes

Intuit Alumni
Feb 3, 2021 12:26:51 PM

@FatemaMustafa If you need to clear and start over, as noted above:  

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for instructions:

How do I clear and start over in TurboTax Online?

Feb 22, 2021 2:28:17 PM

I can NOT get to the menu.  I get a connection drop (Turbo Tax) every time.  I can't get back to ANY of my info.  I need someone to contact me.

Intuit Alumni
Feb 22, 2021 2:40:36 PM

If you are unable to get to the menu, can you try logging out of your TurboTax account if you can. If not, that's fine. Try clearing cache and delete cookies. Then try logging back into your TurboTax account and see if the issue still persist. If it's still the same, you may want to use the FAQ link posted below to reach out to TurboTax customer support for additional assistance:

TurboTax customer support

Feb 22, 2021 4:04:11 PM

None of these have worked.  The technical support representative doesn't know what to do.

I'm stuck.