Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 13, 2020 1:41:54 PM

Why is my taxes still pending after 48 hours

0 25 11124
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Apr 13, 2020 2:25:35 PM

Pending status means that the IRS has received your return but have not started to process it yet.  It is not unusual for it to take a little bit longer during busy times for the IRS.
Take a look at this helpful article for an explanation on tax return process: Where’s My Tax Refund? How to Check Your Refund Status

24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Apr 13, 2020 2:25:35 PM

Pending status means that the IRS has received your return but have not started to process it yet.  It is not unusual for it to take a little bit longer during busy times for the IRS.
Take a look at this helpful article for an explanation on tax return process: Where’s My Tax Refund? How to Check Your Refund Status

Level 2
Feb 14, 2021 10:43:40 AM

my taxes are still pending also. mine has been filed since January 7th. its now way past the 12th and still pending. my stimulus was messed up thru turbo tax but I still gave turbo tax a chance and filed my return with them this year and still pending. I will be going elsewhere from now on. I don't even get clear answers as to why is it still pending. my entire family filed with me and was immediately accepted. this makes no sense. can someone explain

Expert Alumni
Feb 14, 2021 11:12:41 AM

The IRS began accepting and processing 2020 income tax returns on February 12. Any returns filed ahead of the official start date will be pending. With so many returns in the IRS queue, there will be processing delays.

Under the PATH Act, the IRS cannot issue a refund involving the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) before mid-February. The law provides this additional time to help the IRS stop fraudulent refunds and claims from being issued, including to identity thieves.

The IRS anticipates a first week of March refund for many EITC and ACTC taxpayers if they file electronically with direct deposit and there are no issues with their tax returns. This would be the same experience for taxpayers if the filing season opened in late January. Taxpayers will need to check Where's My Refund for their personalized refund date.

Overall, the IRS anticipates nine out of 10 taxpayers will receive their refund within 21 days of when they file electronically with direct deposit if there are no issues with their tax return. The IRS urges taxpayers and tax professionals to file electronically. To avoid delays in processing, people should avoid filing paper returns wherever possible.

Refer to 2021 tax filing season begins Feb. 12; IRS outlines steps to speed refunds during pandemic

Level 2
Feb 15, 2021 6:42:44 AM

Mines also the same in this never happened to me before 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 15, 2021 9:20:03 AM

Your e-filed return is still in pending on the server because the IRS is currently 

accepting/rejecting/processing returns.  Sometimes it can take more than 48 hours to process. Only a few returns were accepted early in a test batch.  Everyone else has been waiting. Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information on pending returns:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

Level 2
Feb 15, 2021 9:35:42 AM

now I'm really confused. I waited on hold for 45 minutes to speak with a rep. she told me it shows accepted on her end. however it does not say that on turbo tax site. also when I go to the " where's my refund" page and put my info in there is nothing. no info. I mean. what am I supposed to believe? I won't use turbo tax again. the past couple years my.stuff has been problematic with no help from them. it upsets me 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 15, 2021 9:47:44 AM

The IRS just began to accept and process returns on February 12, 2021. The normal turnaround time for the IRS to accept your return is 24-48 hours. However, due to the number of stockpiled returns, it may take a little bit longer as their system is overwhelmed with early filers. This also applies to why there may not be a status showing on the IRS  Where's My Refund site. Please see Why is there no record of my return at Where's My Refund (WMR)? for more information. 

@Joanmiller42

Feb 16, 2021 8:45:15 AM

I files on feb 13th, your site says pending. The irs site says check back 24hours after your return has been filed. Still no update like mine was never filed

Level 15
Feb 16, 2021 8:47:58 AM

@Kimwells1 wrote:

I files on feb 13th, your site says pending. The irs site says check back 24hours after your return has been filed. Still no update like mine was never filed

Your tax returns will remain Pending until the IRS starts pulling tax returns from the TurboTax servers. It may be several days or longer after the IRS start date before your tax return gets accepted or rejected.

The IRS has to pull millions and millions of tax returns from servers throughout the country after the official IRS start date of 02/12/2021.

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 3:10:55 PM

I've read because you either claim the child tax credit or missing stimulus money(which i did since at the time I didn't claim my kids for the stimulus and didn't get the child tax credit early in the year). My question is if you did or did t early in the year or when the stimulus where handed out.(claim your dependent/s.)

Expert Alumni
Feb 10, 2022 3:35:52 PM

If you did not receive the stimulus or advance child tax credit, they are claimed on your return now with the dependents. You should claim whomever you are legally entitled to claim.  It will cause a slight delay in your refund as the system cross checks.

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 3:43:39 PM

I did received my stimulus check for 2021($600) but didn't claim my children at the time since I didn't have proper documentation. But I did not claim the child tax credit for the same reason(proper documentation of dependents) but I did when I filed this year(2022) for last year's taxes(2021). I did claim i only got $600 though and was credited for the remaining balance of my stimulus and child credit tax. So Im guessing  that's why my federal and state return are still pending after 48hrs since I filed on 02/07/2021 correct?

Level 2
Feb 10, 2022 3:51:40 PM

But yes in other words i did claim my dependents on my taxes for the missing stimulus and child tax credit thanks for the reply! Do you know how much longer it will take for them to be accepted? Since it's been longer than the 48hrs? 

Expert Alumni
Feb 10, 2022 6:20:25 PM

They should still be accepted quickly, it is the processing that is slow. The IRS has multiple processing places and sometimes one of them has to shut down for a little while. 

Level 2
Apr 24, 2022 6:13:04 PM

recieved anything yet? Have the same troubles. Turbo sent a email saying “Return has been sent” it’s telling me to wait 24-48hrs ?  I claimed my daughter this year. This my 1st time. 

Level 2
Jan 31, 2023 8:58:33 AM

I feel you filed single got an email saying rejected went to fix the issue but on turbotax still say pending like it's stuck on pending for a week, yet my mom was accepted immediately. Turbotax about to loose a 20year filer with them.  Is it a glitch?  I even was like maybe if I amend it by changing a digit but can't do that til the 16th

Intuit Alumni
Jan 31, 2023 9:13:18 AM

This is an old thread. Pending means your e-filed return is on its way and the government hasn't accepted or rejected it yet. Please see What does pending mean? for more detailed information. 

Once the IRS has accepted your e-filed return, you can check the status of your refund by going directly to https://www.irs.gov/refunds.

Additionally, you can check out this Help Article for instructions on how to track your state refund.

@Undeniable

Feb 1, 2023 4:54:00 AM

We can see this thread is old! Almost 48 hours and still pending not accepted or rejected. I always file on January 30th for years and I have never had it take this long for my return to be accepted. I am beyond annoyed bcuz it makes no sense. 

Returning Member
Feb 6, 2023 2:19:20 AM

Feb 6, 2023 4:32:49 AM

It's Feb 2023 I filed my taxes 48 hrs ago. Turbo tax says pending. Irs wheres my refund cant even find me. Should i be worried?

Level 15
Feb 6, 2023 5:00:20 AM

Unfortunately, TurboTax has no control over how long the IRS takes to accept a return. After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 48 hours hours or longer before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes state returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.

Continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund?  tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

Feb 10, 2023 1:49:00 PM

I filed mine on the the of February.  It's still pending. I'm not gonna lie it's making me a little nervous. Anyone else waiting forever on a accepted?!

Mar 11, 2023 8:53:53 AM

Yes why is it

Intuit Alumni
Mar 11, 2023 9:08:51 AM

Sometimes it can take a little longer. Please see What does pending mean? for more detailed information. 

Once the IRS has accepted your e-filed return, you can check the status of your refund by going directly to: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Additionally, you can check out this Help Article for instructions on how to track your state refund.

@Richar6