Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 7, 2024 3:51:08 AM

Received refund from "TPG PRODUCTS SBTPG LLC” today but amount is short by $700

Today I received a direct deposit for my federal refund, but the amount was short by roughly $700. This is after I calculate the amount TurboTax shows they would take on my service order. When I check my filing on the IRS site it shows that I should have received the amount TurboTax has which is not what was deposited. I know there seemed to be issues with this TPG vendor in the past. Anyone else seeing problems with their deposit this year?

15 65 54962
24 Replies
Mar 7, 2024 5:36:51 AM

Yes. Mine was 3000 short. I looked up tpg products and it seems like everyone is being robbed

Expert Alumni
Mar 7, 2024 6:42:36 AM

Generally when your refund is that short, it is either due to an error on your return, such as a typo that resulted in too large of a refund or claiming someone that was already claimed by someone else or it is due to an IRS Offset.  The IRS should or will send you a letter explaining why your refund has been reduced.  

The most common reasons are:

• Back due Child Support
  • Federal back due taxes
  • Delinquent Student loans or other federal non tax debts
  • Money owed to a state agency

If you did not yet receive the letter you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 or call BFS's TOP call center at 800-304-3107 and they will be able to provide you with an answer as to why your refund was reduced.

Reduced Refund

Mar 21, 2024 1:22:22 AM

@Vanessa A , we don’t need your input. We NEED OUR MONEY. I’m 100% sure everyone who’s searched up questions related to the current issue selected the TurboTax fee thinking it was going to only be less than a $100 deductible.

@MShavalier i got the same account name for my Federal Tax Refund in my bank account and was shorted $350 from the original estimate. I swear I only agreed to have the $93 deducted from TurboTax for using their “free” service so I didn’t think anything of it. Very irritating so I’m probably not going to file with them again. What a SCAM.

Mar 21, 2024 4:29:44 AM

I checked with IRS and there is no debt that I owe,so where is my $702.78?  How do I get in contact with TPG Products?

Level 15
Mar 21, 2024 4:40:10 AM

@rtgraham wrote:

I checked with IRS and there is no debt that I owe,so where is my $702.78?  How do I get in contact with TPG Products?

Since you mention TPG, I presume you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund.  I'll tell you how to check with them below.

Another thing to consider is a state refund, if applicable.   So be sure you're not going by a "total refund" figure that included both Fed and State refunds.  For some people the money that is "short" is a state refund that has not yet arrived.

You can log in at SBTPG to see if there is any info on your funds.  To log into their refund lookup tool, choose the "For Taxpayers" portal at:
https://www.sbtpg.com/

Then choose "Check with TPG."

SBTPG has a phone contact page at the following link. It also shows their business hours. 

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information

Level 15
Mar 21, 2024 4:47:26 AM
Mar 22, 2024 1:05:39 PM

I know that i did my taxes right, and it was still short. Not by $700.00 but still shorter than expected. by a hundred buck. 

Level 15
Mar 22, 2024 3:16:26 PM

@ shadowstorm_2cats

wrote:

I know that i did my taxes right, and it was still short. Not by $700.00 but still shorter than expected. by a hundred buck. 

If you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, did you account for the TurboTax fees, possible sales tax, and the $40 service fee for that option? ($45 for California filers)

As an example: 

If you used Online Deluxe, then since March 1 the fee for Deluxe would be $59 for Federal plus $40 service fee for the optional "pay out of refund", plus possible sales tax.

Or another possibility:  are you also expecting a state refund that hasn't yet come?

Mar 27, 2024 4:28:08 AM

Did you ever get the rest of it

Level 2
Mar 27, 2024 8:11:11 AM

NO. It is not the IRS that has taken extra money. The IRS website confirms the amount of my return, I even owed them some money, which they addressed and SAID they took it out of my return. THEN they listed the amount of money they were going to return to me ($4118) 

I received $3358.

WHAT IS GOING ON???  Who is TPG PRODUCTS SBTPG LLC and why are they STEALING OUR MONEY?

somebody ever there better figure it out before I spend ALL of my free time, telling the world about Turbo tax on tiktok and telling them to NEVER USE Turbotax ever again. I have used turbotax for the last 6 years and never had an issue. but STEAL $760 of MY MONEY and H&R block will process my taxes moving forward. You will never see another penny of mine. Somebody better call me [phone number removed]

Level 2
Apr 3, 2024 5:07:46 AM

I was also robbed. I have no tax debts or fees to account for my missing return. 

Level 2
Apr 3, 2024 5:11:38 AM

They do not provide any answers for people who don’t have tax debts or leans or child support. I chose the free file version so there is no reason for any money to be deducted from my return so basically you’re robbing people. Now tell us when you’re giving our illegally withheld funds back?

Level 2
Apr 3, 2024 5:14:51 AM

I’m with you. How do we get our money back that they illegally withheld?

Apr 3, 2024 9:48:28 AM

Where is the rest of my tax refund ?? I need a answer ASAP !!! Your short $292.00 Its mine not your!!

Expert Alumni
Apr 3, 2024 11:02:07 AM

Once your return is filed, TurboTax has no control over the processing of your return or the release of your refund.

Here are a couple FAQs to track your refund:
When will I get my federal tax refund?
How do I track my state refund?
Why does Where's My Refund say "approved" but TurboTax still says "accepted"?

Level 1
Apr 3, 2024 11:55:01 AM

I can empathize with some of the people here since I ended up paying TurboTax significantly more this year than I have in the past. That said, I was aware of the option I selected once I started the filing process, as I've done through TT for almost 10years now. I felt like I was somewhat locked into the amount, and ended up paying for the higher priced "service" even though I didn't end up talking with a "tax expert" and seemingly didn't have an additional review that took place. Long story short, I paid a lot more this year for the same exact service that I've paid every year since first using TT back in 2014/2015. As a few others have said, it would be great if I could get a refund, though, I feel like that's extremely unlikely since I signed documents which stated the amounts and fees prior to finishing everything. Next year I'll also be reconsidering how I file since TT no longer seems like the most cost effective option for my family and me (Ended up paying over $330 in fees where I probably could've gone with whatever the "free" or cheapest option was...).

Apr 8, 2024 3:43:40 PM

I have same issue. Does anyone know how to get the money back? 

Expert Alumni
Apr 8, 2024 3:50:22 PM

If the IRS has adjusted the amount of your refund, you will receive a letter that explains the adjustments soon.   There is a $40 fee for Refund Processing, but if the amount missing is $700, that is certainly an IRS adjustment.   @MrBeyond123 

See Topic 203 - Reduced Refund

Apr 10, 2024 1:48:31 PM

Happened to me as well. Turbo tax took a few as well as the tpg people. So I won't be using Turbo Tax again next year. I feel like TurboTax should have us we were going to get hit with additional fees. After 8 years of using Turbo tax. Good bye 

Apr 12, 2024 11:36:38 AM

Today I received a direct deposit for my federal refund, but the amount was short by roughly $70. This is after I calculated the amount TurboTax shows they would take on my order. Not as much as you, but not expected either. I would like to see Turbo Tax clearly state the amount of all fees to be deducted from my refund - no surprises!

Expert Alumni
Apr 12, 2024 11:38:44 AM

To see your fees, go to: Tax Tools and Tools. These are down the left side of the screen in a black border.  Follow these directions.  

1. Down the left side of TurboTax, click on Tax Tools. 
  2. Click on Tools. 
  3. Click on My Fees in the center of the screen. 

Apr 16, 2024 5:35:06 PM

I wish I had seen this before filing with TurboTax’s and had just listened to my gut and went to a tax professional . I’ve been using them for years never had an issue until now. I got a little of my refund back today and am short $2900. I am so disappointed when I don’t even owe the IRS! Like it can not be that much to file when TurboTax charged me $172 to begin with. So is there a chance to even get the money back? I am going to reach out to TPG tomorrow as it was EOD but I won’t be using TurboTax services anymore. 

Expert Alumni
Apr 16, 2024 5:51:31 PM

A $2900 adjustment indicates some sort of change to the tax return by the IRS.  They will send a letter of explanation within a few weeks.  They always send the refund they are approving out before that letter reaches you.  

Level 15
Apr 16, 2024 6:05:23 PM

@ANG09 Did you check the IRS federal tax refund website to verify that the amount that was issued by the IRS is the same amount as the refund shown on your Form 1040 Line 35a? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds