Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 12:07:19 PM

My original return showed refund for fed. and state taxes,amended return shows $0 for each type of tax. What is happening?

my original tax returns show refund on both Federal and State taxes. I amended them to correct my first name that has been misspelled and the amended returns show $0 refund. Why?

0 3 1726
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:07:23 PM

The original return and the amended return are considered two separate returns. Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  When you filed your amended return the $0 means that the information you entered you are not due an additional refund nor do you owe additional taxes. You will still get back you original return amount. 

3 Replies
Level 15
Jun 3, 2019 12:07:21 PM

Did your first original return reject?  Then you don't amend.  You just fix it and resend it.  I don't think you need to amend to change the name spelling.   If it rejected you need to delete the amended return.  Are you using the Online web version or the CD/Download Desktop program?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552833-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download-software">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2552833-how-do-i-cancel-or-undo-an-amended-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download-software</a>

Jun 3, 2019 12:07:22 PM

no the original did not reject and i have already received the refund for it

Intuit Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:07:23 PM

The original return and the amended return are considered two separate returns. Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  When you filed your amended return the $0 means that the information you entered you are not due an additional refund nor do you owe additional taxes. You will still get back you original return amount.