How do I cancel or undo an amended return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?
If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:
- Open your return.
- Switch to Forms Mode (Windows instructions | Mac instructions).
- In the left pane, select Form 1040X.
- Windows: After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
- Mac: From the Forms menu, select Remove Form 1040X.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the 1040X from your return
- Important: Go back through the TurboTax interview and undo any changes you made after you selected the option to amend your 2015 return, as merely deleting the 1040X will not undo those manual entries for you.
The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.
The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).
Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:
- Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
- Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
- Delete entries in the tax year field.
- Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.
If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try clearing your state return and starting over.