Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 9:25:43 PM

I filed the other day, received another 1099-SA I did not expect. I need to add this info to my return

also how is the interest earned on these has account accounted for? the bank applies it back to the account. is this a contribution by me? I have to account for the interest as income.

0 1 153
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
May 31, 2019 9:25:45 PM

No you will not have to account for the interest in an HSA account. That is one of the perks of an HSA-the interest grows in the account tax-free.

Because you have already filed, you will need amend your return. However, there is no rush. The 1040X form will not be ready until mid-February. In the meantime, make no changes to your original return. This can really mess things up.  When the form is ready, check the link below for directions to amending your return.

Wait until the return is accepted/rejected before you amend the return and add the 1099-SA. If rejected, you can go back in and add the 1099-SA. If you’re having trouble getting your return to open up, try below.

• Select MyTurboTax in the upper left
  • Under Some Things you can do, select Add state
  • Then select My Account, Tools, Topic Search, type 1099-SA in the box and then select GO

If your return is accepted, wait until the original return is fully processedIf you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
May 31, 2019 9:25:45 PM

No you will not have to account for the interest in an HSA account. That is one of the perks of an HSA-the interest grows in the account tax-free.

Because you have already filed, you will need amend your return. However, there is no rush. The 1040X form will not be ready until mid-February. In the meantime, make no changes to your original return. This can really mess things up.  When the form is ready, check the link below for directions to amending your return.

Wait until the return is accepted/rejected before you amend the return and add the 1099-SA. If rejected, you can go back in and add the 1099-SA. If you’re having trouble getting your return to open up, try below.

• Select MyTurboTax in the upper left
  • Under Some Things you can do, select Add state
  • Then select My Account, Tools, Topic Search, type 1099-SA in the box and then select GO

If your return is accepted, wait until the original return is fully processedIf you had a refund/tax payment due wait until you receive the refund or the payment is processed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed