Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 2:56:46 PM

How can i find out if my refund has been garnished by the irs?

I have not received my refund yet, but how can I know if the IRS has plans on keeping it? is there a number I can call to see if my refund is subject to garnishment?

1 33 122624
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 2:56:47 PM

Hello angelshelby21,

The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) can offset any unpaid federal or government debt against your refund without prior notice. Most commonly, the offset is taken for:
  • Past due child support;
  • Debts owed to a federal agency;
  • Unemployment debts owed to the state;
  • Past due federal student loans;
  • Unpaid state income tax.

We're unable to assist with or provide additional information about refund offsets, as these actions are initiated by the government. For further assistance:

• Call the FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset.
  • Call the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-877-777-4778 (or visit www.irs.gov/advocate) if you feel your refund was reduced in error. The service is free.

Below is a link with more information about offsets and what actions you need to take. I hope this has helped!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894477-why-did-my-federal-tax-refund-decrease-after-i-filed

Jun 7, 2019 2:56:49 PM

The 800 304 3107 number is no longer in service.

Jun 7, 2019 2:56:50 PM

As of at least today, it's back up.

Jun 7, 2019 2:56:52 PM

just worked for me

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:56:56 PM

This is a 4 year old post - numbers can change.

Jun 7, 2019 2:56:58 PM

Is this for state refund too and not just federal??

Jun 7, 2019 2:56:59 PM

This number is working as of today. However the automatic message that is given before entering any information clearly states that any information that might be given is for NON tax debts and if you are inquiring about a TAX debt that might offset your tax refund you have to call IRS so this thread is helpful but is doesn't answer the question concerning TAX debt offsets.

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:57:01 PM

The IRS itself will take your refund for back tax before any other tax offset is applied.

You can check your own account with the IRS and if you owe back tax at the IRS website.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account">https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account</a>

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 2:57:03 PM

I am closing this 4 year old post since it is out of date.

Jun 7, 2019 2:57:06 PM

FMS does not handle past FEDERAL taxes there, correct? In other words, those are not considered to be an "offset," right? I'm hoping that what I owe in back taxes is just quickly subtracted from my refund (it only represents about 4% of my refund) and the rest is sent without a bunch of delays and down-time. 

Jun 7, 2019 2:57:08 PM

are you saying that if I owe in federal taxes from 2012, FMS can only tell me about my current year 2013? are past federal taxes considered an offset? if not, does that mean they wont take my current federal return owed to me? i'm confused

Expert Alumni
Feb 3, 2020 7:50:00 AM

IRS Offset line: 800-304-3107

Level 2
Feb 5, 2020 5:06:54 AM

When I call. It says there is one debt and my refund may or may not be offset. Currently my refund has been accepted and is being processed. I claimed the Earned income tax credit, so I do get the tax topic 152 when I check wheres my refund. Anyone know if that can change? 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 5, 2020 8:10:51 AM

Yes, it can. If your return is offset, you'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual. For more information please click the link below.

What is a refund offset? - Community - TurboTax

Feb 15, 2020 9:42:36 PM

When will I know if the irs will take my federal for a offset and when will I get my refund

Intuit Alumni
Feb 17, 2020 8:10:26 AM

You'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service if your refund is offset. Please click the link below to contact the Internal Revenue Service for assistance.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS ...

Intuit Alumni
Feb 25, 2020 8:50:54 PM

You'll get an explanatory letter from the Bureau of the Fiscal Service if your refund is offset. The remainder of your refund will be processed as usual. An offset shouldn't delay it, unless your entire refund was applied to your debt. Please click here for more information. 

Feb 29, 2020 5:52:08 AM

How do I find it the money that they took and will I get 

Level 15
Feb 29, 2020 5:54:17 AM

@der46 wrote:

How do I find it the money that they took and will I get 

Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemployment Compensation Debts has more information about refund offsets.

Mar 12, 2020 6:16:05 AM

This number does not tell you anything just keeps routing you to main menu

Intuit Alumni
Mar 12, 2020 9:04:09 AM

You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040. There is a high call volume.    

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1.   

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language.   

Then Press 1    

Then Press 3   

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent.   

May 13, 2020 9:22:35 AM

Was my refund intercepted from the irs

Employee Tax Expert
May 13, 2020 1:56:22 PM

It depends.

You can use the following links to check the status of your refund.  Please be aware that it is taking longer to process refunds this year so it could also just be a delay.

IRS refund status

The online link is your best option to track your refund.  I have attached a link with more answers from the IRS as to why your refund may be taking longer to process.

Federal refund questions

Reduced refunds for child support information from the IRS

Expert Alumni
Jun 30, 2020 1:11:56 PM

You can check for federal refund garnishments by calling this number: 1-800-304-3107