Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 5:24:08 PM

Hello I have received a letter from integrity & verification operations saying they need 6 weeks more to process my return what does that mean

I don’t know what you mean 

0 33 11249
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 5:24:10 PM

The IRS Integrity and Verification Operations (IVO) group is delaying a number of taxpayer refunds to screen for identity theft and refund fraud.

Taxpayers identified by the program may receive a "4464C" letter from IVO stating that their tax return is being thoroughly reviewed so that the IRS can "ensure the accuracy of return information." The letter states that the IRS may contact the taxpayer or third parties for further information and that if the taxpayer does not hear from the IRS or receive his or her refund within 60 days from the date of the letter, the taxpayer may contact the IRS directly. Once the IRS has completed its review, it may send a full or partial refund or no refund. Whatever the decision, the taxpayer can appeal it.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit. The IRS uses algorithms similar to a discriminate function system score to detect potential refund fraud. Certain characteristics — like whether the taxpayer is a first-time filer, is receiving a refund unusually larger than the one from a prior year or is receiving W-2 income unexpectedly — can trigger an alert to IVO to further investigate the taxpayer's return.

24 Replies
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 5:24:10 PM

The IRS Integrity and Verification Operations (IVO) group is delaying a number of taxpayer refunds to screen for identity theft and refund fraud.

Taxpayers identified by the program may receive a "4464C" letter from IVO stating that their tax return is being thoroughly reviewed so that the IRS can "ensure the accuracy of return information." The letter states that the IRS may contact the taxpayer or third parties for further information and that if the taxpayer does not hear from the IRS or receive his or her refund within 60 days from the date of the letter, the taxpayer may contact the IRS directly. Once the IRS has completed its review, it may send a full or partial refund or no refund. Whatever the decision, the taxpayer can appeal it.

The IRS has indicated that the letters are part of the screening program to combat stolen identity refund fraud and do not mean the taxpayer has been selected for audit. The IRS uses algorithms similar to a discriminate function system score to detect potential refund fraud. Certain characteristics — like whether the taxpayer is a first-time filer, is receiving a refund unusually larger than the one from a prior year or is receiving W-2 income unexpectedly — can trigger an alert to IVO to further investigate the taxpayer's return.

Jun 7, 2019 5:24:11 PM

I have been checkling status of income and it says same

Jun 7, 2019 5:24:13 PM

I have been checking status of refund and it sau same send letters changer 30days multiple times what is going on

Jun 27, 2019 10:59:57 AM

I have received this same letter. I filed Feb 6,2019 and online it says the same thing as of today 06/27/2019. I have called multiple times and the agents on the phone were unhelpful. There are not any notes on the account and I was told even after this 60 days is up they can request another 60 days. Its incredibly frustrating no one can give me a better answer as to what is going on. All I'm getting is that " Your account is under review". I have also written to the address stated on the letter, and yet to receive a response or phone call. This was well over a month ago. 

Level 3
Mar 1, 2020 9:56:23 AM

I received thirteen 4464c letters from the integrity & verification operations. It started on the 3rd of February and every beeping day I go to check my mail and here comes another one. I called and called to see what going on. They tell me only one letter went out but no one is giving me a F-ing answer. It’s starting to piss me off when they keep on sending me these letters wasting government money but hold my refund. 

Level 3
Mar 1, 2020 9:59:55 AM

I called the tax advocate number on the back and told them what is going on. Then I asked them to review my refund and asked them what is going on 

Intuit Alumni
Mar 1, 2020 10:05:23 AM

@459williams, I understand you're frustrated. The IRS is indeed the best point of contact in these situations since TurboTax receives no updates on returns after they are accepted by the IRS. I hope that your refund is processed soon and that the IRS is able to provide you with some insight in your situation. 

Level 2
Mar 8, 2020 9:05:00 PM

Same, I had no response yet!! So frustrating not knowing..

Level 3
Mar 9, 2020 4:51:45 AM

I feel you. I filed on the 22nd of January and it was accepted on the 27th. I was suppose to get my refund this week as I claim credits but I haven’t received the refund and no money no one is giving me answers on what the hell is going on. I have a tax advocate and still no answers. I’m beyond frustrated. I’m about to make an appointment and go to the local IRS to see what the hell is going on. Ppl depend on their refunds

Intuit Alumni
Mar 9, 2020 8:22:00 AM

@459williams Since it's been over 21 days since your return was approved, we suggest contacting the IRS directly to inquire about your refund.  Have you spoken with an IRS agent?  Go here for tips on reaching a live IRS agent when you call.

Were you informed that you would receive a letter in the mail concerning why your refund is taking longer than usual?  If you do receive an IRS letter, we can help you understand the letter here:  We can help you with your IRS letter

Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for situations that can delay refunds:  What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 day ...

Level 3
Mar 9, 2020 10:47:56 AM

I have called and called and no one is giving me answer. I even have a tax advocate now and still no answer on what the heck is going on. I’m beyond pissed now.

Level 3
Mar 9, 2020 2:49:23 PM

No you do understand. I have received 13 letters of the 4464C in the February and in the 1st week of March. I have called and called the IRS. Only to get the run around. Them putting me on hold then coming back with them stating to just wait. Then calling the tax advocate number as well and getting the same thing. No one is giving a straight answer on what is going on with my refund. That I'm about to take off work to go do there face to face so they can tell me to my face instead of lying to me over the phone. After this I don't think I will ever use Turbo Tax or even file my taxes because of this **bleep** here.

Level 2
Mar 9, 2020 4:04:24 PM

You know what, I recomemnded turbo tax to other people and 2 of them are going thru the samething...Now I wonder if is turbo tax...i will defenetly not do my taxes with them next year either..

Mar 9, 2020 5:57:58 PM

I got that letter to what do i do

Level 3
Mar 10, 2020 4:56:05 AM

I called to see what was going on. And they kept on putting me on hold then coming back to say you just have to wait. Then getting a tax advocate then to find out you can’t reach them and your on hold for about 2 hrs. It’s very frustrating. They are happy to take money out your check but delaying the process of your refund

Level 1
Apr 1, 2020 4:25:39 PM

The very same scenario I'm going thru as well...I too recommended TurboTax to 3 other people 

All THREE PEOPLE HAVE GOTTEN THE SAME LETTER !!! I am beginning to think it's a TurboTax Problem! Seriously all of us have received the same bleeping letter. I received my letter on Feb. 26. No answers, no help, paid extra to make sure it was reviewed good before I sent it in. Now TurboTax is sending me a bill for using their service ???

Intuit Alumni
Apr 1, 2020 5:03:24 PM

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Level 2
Apr 1, 2020 5:07:58 PM

Update!!

I received my money around 3 or 4 weeks after the letter..they didnt ask for anything further

Apr 1, 2020 11:56:50 PM

I need to to pove my identity to IRS to receive my tax return i got a letter in the mail and can not contact RIS by phone 

Level 3
Apr 2, 2020 5:20:15 AM

I would personally get a tax advocate to handle your case. That’s what I had to do to get my refund. I had a lot of problems talking with the IRS going back n forth. But I finally got my refund and had an offset.

Intuit Alumni
Apr 2, 2020 9:25:45 AM

@LIVElove07-05, Did the letter include any instructions for completing the ID verification via mail or fax? IRS phone support is not currently available, but they are still processing returns.

Apr 14, 2020 11:08:36 AM

Hello I received a letter from the irs stating that I have to verify my identity. I filed my taxes through turbotax and the irs office is closed. What am I to do to get my money. 

Apr 14, 2020 11:10:18 AM

How can I talk to someone to verify my identity 

Intuit Alumni
Apr 14, 2020 11:20:02 AM

Please click Identity Verification Service and read what the IRS has stated should be done right now.