Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Sep 20, 2021 11:04:19 AM

2019 Tax Refund

I did a e-filing for my 2019 return through turbo tax on 04/05/2020 but somehow i missed mailing the 1040 to IRS . What are the options i have now ?

0 19 1335
19 Replies
Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 11:10:37 AM

When you e-file a tax return the Form 1040 is included with the electronically filed tax return, it is Not mailed to the IRS.

Level 8
Sep 20, 2021 11:11:33 AM

The IRS is far behind.  You can try contacting them for information on the return.

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 11:13:31 AM

Thanks 🙂

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 11:14:10 AM

Are you still waiting for your 2019 Refund?  If you efiled, Was it Accepted?  Maybe you didn't finish filing it or it Rejected.  When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc.  what does it say?

Then when you efile you get back 2 emails.  The first email only confirms the transmission.  The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepte.d or Rejected your efile.  Check back though your emails if you have them.

If you didn't finish Efiling or it rejected you have to print and mail prior returns now.

Then only the IRS can tell you.

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 11:14:41 AM

@GeorgeDenseff The OP states that he e-filed his 2019 return.   Why tell him to mail it?

@arpanghosh1990 

Do you know if your 2019 return was accepted?  What did your emails say after you filed?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return. 

Check your account for 2019.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed.  Either it was rejected and you did not notice and/or follow up, or it was never filed at all.

If it was not filed, or was not accepted

then print, sign and mail it now.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Did you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service 

If it was filed and accepted, then you have to follow up with the IRS to see what happened. 

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

If this is about your state refund then contact your state:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/00/25573

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 11:15:50 AM

@GeorgeDenseff   Why couldn't they efile 2019 in April 2020?  Last year, not 2021.

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 11:17:04 AM

@arpanghosh1990 wrote:

Thanks 🙂

You stated that you e-filed the 2019 tax return.  When a tax return is electronically filed there in no need to print and mail any other forms to the IRS.  There are some uncommon instances where certain forms, not the Form 1040, have to be mailed and those would be noted on the Filing Instructions page.

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 12:02:54 PM

I see the status as Printed and i dont have any emails about Acceptance or Rejection .

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 12:07:44 PM

The filing instructions when i download my 1040 from turbotax i see the below instructions .

Mail your return and attachments to:
| Department of the Treasury
| Internal Revenue Service
| Fresno, CA 93888-0002
|
| Deadline: Postmarked by Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 12:21:01 PM

So did you mail it?   Why did you think it was efiled?

Printed or Ready to Mail means you have to actually print out your tax return and mail it to the IRS or state yourself.  So if you didn't mail it then it has not been filed yet.  And it will always say Ready to Mail.  Turbo Tax doesn’t know if or when you mailed it and the IRS doesn’t update Turbo Tax when they get your mailed return.    

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 12:39:39 PM

so i am mailing it now that should be fine right ?

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 12:42:50 PM

@arpanghosh1990 wrote:

so i am mailing it now that should be fine right ?

If you have a tax refund there are no penalties for filing after the due date.  If you have taxes owed, then pay the taxes as soon as possible.  After the IRS receives your tax return they will send you a bill in the mail for any penalties and interest for the taxes owed.

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Print, sign, date and mail the tax return to the IRS.  Include with the mailed return any forms W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld.  Go to this IRS website for mailing addresses - https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-paper-tax-returns-with-or-without-a-payment

There are no penalties for filing a tax return after the due date if filing for a tax refund or there are no taxes owed.

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 2:48:35 PM

Do i need to post mark it ?

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 2:58:25 PM

@arpanghosh1990 Anything you mail will have a postmark that is put there by the post office.   I think you mean ---should I use a mailing service to track it?   Yes, you should so that you know the IRS received it.  It takes months for the IRS to process a mailed return.   Unless you use a service that will track it and tell you the IRS received your return you will be waiting and wondering for months if they even received it.

Use certified mail from the post office and you will get  a receipt back that shows the return was received by the IRS.

Level 15
Sep 20, 2021 3:02:12 PM

@arpanghosh1990 wrote:

Do i need to post mark it ?

Not sure what you mean by "Do i need to post mark it ?"

You have to sign and date the Form 1040 on page 2 of the form.

Since you have to mail the tax return it would be in your best interest to pay for a tracking service from the US post office so that you know that the tax return was actually received by the IRS.

The postmark on the envelope from the US post office will be used by the IRS for the date it was mailed.

Level 2
Sep 20, 2021 3:03:06 PM

got it 

Sep 23, 2021 5:59:16 AM

TURBOTAX was supposted to have sent our 2019 return to the IRS.  However, the IRS never got the return.  I do not know WHY?  What I need now is a copy of 2019  form 1099-R for my wife and I.

Send them to our email address of record!  GBRuiz

r

Level 15
Sep 23, 2021 6:17:57 AM

@gbr2u 

YOU are responsible for filing your own return and making sure it was accepted for processing if you efiled  or  got to the correct office if you mailed it.   So either the return was rejected if efiled and you did not make the correction and resubmit it timely  OR   you did not mail in the return or did not mail it to the correct office.

All you can do now is print, ink sign and mail in the return and attach any forms that have withholding on them.  So if the 1099-R had withholding on it you will need to get a replacement from the issuing company or get an income transcript from the IRS since the TT program only keeps the info from the form but not a copy of the form itself even if you imported it.  Make sure to put some kind of tracking on the envelope and then be prepared to wait for months for the paper return to process ... currently they are taking much longer than 6 months.  

Level 15
Sep 23, 2021 6:50:33 AM

@gbr2u No one from the user forum can email copies of your tax return or any other documents to you.   No one has access to your account.    You have to access it yourself.   As stated above, either you did not mail it correctly, or perhaps it was rejected and you did not realize it.   The only way to get that 2019 return filed now is to print it, sign it in ink, and mail it in.  You might need to get new copies of your income documents if you did not save them for your records.   Any income document like a W-2 or 1099R with tax withheld must be attached to the return when you mail it in.

If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for being late.   If you owe tax due, then your interest and penalties began over a year ago.

If you have forgotten how to access your account:

You have to access your own account and/or  print it for yourself using exactly the same account and user ID that you used when you prepared the return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/01/27010

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

Or did you use the desktop version of TurboTax?  If so, the files are on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901486-how-many-turbotax-accounts-do-i-have

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows

To get a copy of your previously filed returns prepared with online TurboTax https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900748-how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-in-turbotax-online

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.