TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I track my Washington state refund?

by Intuit Updated 6 months ago

Washington doesn’t have a state income tax, so if you live—and earned income—in Washington, there’s no Washington refund to track.

If you’d like to track your federal (IRS) refund, go here

Even though Washington doesn’t have a state income tax (so there’s no state return to file), if you earned income in other states, they may require you to file a return.

If you’ve already filed your return in one of those states, go to the state list to find that state’s refund tracker.

If you haven’t filed a return in the other states, here’s what you need to be aware of:

  • If you’re on salary, you’ll have to file a nonresident return for the state you work in. Since you’re likely paying withholding to the state you work in, filing a return means you may get a refund (although you might owe money). Check the state website to find out if you have a filing requirement.
  • If you’re receiving 1099-MISCs, you pay taxes to the state where your home office is located. Depending on a variety of factors, including whether you paid estimated taxes, you might get a refund or you might owe money.
  • If you have rental property or investment property in another state, generally you pay taxes to the state of your primary residence and to the state where the rental is located. However, Washington state does not impose income taxes so you will only need to file in the state your rental or investment property is located. There can be complex rules, so check with the Department of Revenue in the state your rental or investment property is located in to be certain you’re in compliance.

If you spend more than a certain number of days in some states, you're considered a resident. The rules aren't consistent from state to state, so if you have any concerns, check with each state for the specific residency rules that apply to your particular situation. There are also rules that vary from state to state about the minimum amount you must report.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads