TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I fix e-file reject R0000-194?

by Intuit Updated 2 months ago

This rejection can happen when a Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) on your return has already been submitted on another return.

First, double-check that the information you entered on your return is correct.

Note: If your TurboTax navigation looks different from what’s described here, learn more.

  1. Sign in to TurboTax and select Fix my return.
  2. On the Let’s fix your return and then refile screen, select Fix it now or Revisit next to the reject code and reason.
  3. On the next screen, you’ll see a detailed description of the error. Select Continue.
  4. Select My Info from the menu and go through the information to double-check that the SSNs and/or ITINs listed are correct.
    • Refer to your Social Security card or Individual Tax Identification Number document to make sure you have the right numbers
  5. If anything is incorrect, select Edit and make the correction.
  6. When you’re done, select File and continue through to refile your return.

Social Security error tips

  • Mixing up the Social Security number is a common error, so check your entry digit-by-digit.
  • If you recently changed your name or number, use the old one listed on your Social Security card.
  • If your last name is hyphenated, enter the entire name in the field including the hyphen. Match exactly what’s on your Social Security card.
  • If you have multiple last names, enter only the last one. For example, Melissa Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Fernandez.
  • It gets a little tricky with a middle name as well. If you have multiple last names and a middle name, use only the first last name listed on your card. For example, Melissa Juana Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Gomez.

Note: If you are concerned about identity theft, consider getting an IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN) with the IRS.

If the Social Security number on your card matches the Social Security number on your return, you'll have to print and mail your return. You won't be able to e-file even though your information was entered correctly. Follow the onscreen instructions to print and file your return by mail.

Tip: To prevent this rejection next year, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify their records (this is where the IRS database pulls information from).

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads