If you receive e-file rejection code R0000-500-01 it's usually because the name or Social Security number of the first person listed on the return is either incorrect or doesn't match what the IRS has in their database.
First, get a copy of your 2021 Form 1040 and find the first person listed. (If you filed by yourself, you'll be the only person on your return.) Then, find your/their Social Security card to ensure you have the correct name and number. Use the exact name and number from the Social Security card to correct your return.
Select your version of TurboTax below for instructions on how to fix the error and refile your return.
Social Security error tips
- Mixing up the Social Security number is a common error, so check your entry digit-by-digit.
- If you recently changed your name or number, use the old one listed on your Social Security card.
- If your last name is hyphenated, enter the entire name in the field including the hyphen. Match exactly what’s on your Social Security card.
- If you have multiple last names, enter only the last one. For example, Melissa Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Fernandez.
- It gets a little tricky with a middle name as well. If you have multiple last names and a middle name, use only the first last name listed on your card. For example, Melissa Juana Gomez Fernandez should be entered as Melissa Gomez.