If you're using TurboTax CD/Download 2019 you may experience Error 606 when attempting to activate your TurboTax product after installation. Error 606 means the license number isn't a valid match to the program installed.
This can occur when Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, or Business are installed and the license number doesn't match, causing the 606.
Who is impacted?
You're impacted by this issue if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Windows shut down and restarted without warning or error during installation at 30–50%
- You installed TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, Home, & Business, or Business 2019
- Product launches as Basic
- Returning Error Code 606 when attempting to activate TurboTax when asked for a license code
- When attempting to uninstall and reinstall TurboTax, Windows continues to shut down and restart without warning or error message
After investigation, we've found that TurboTax may not have fully installed when Windows shutdown and restarted without warning or error. This is caused by a corrupted Microsoft Installer, which is part of the operating system. TurboTax uses this installer to install the software.
The Microsoft Installer can become corrupt for many reasons such as:
- A partial incomplete upgrade from Windows 7 or 8-10
- A failed Windows update for the installer
Microsoft has many support articles regarding Microsoft Installer corruption or issues with installing/uninstalling the software.
Here are a few articles you can try to resolve these issues.
Disclaimer: Some of these articles may require the user to make registry edits. Registry edits, if not done properly, can cause issues that may result in your computer being inoperable. If you aren't an advanced user of Windows, consider seeking the assistance of a local support professional.