Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Oct 11, 2022 1:14:30 PM

Why isn't the running total of my tax due showing anymore?

2 56 11638
1 Best answer
Level 2
Jan 21, 2023 1:59:00 PM

who wants this DUMB race mode.  NO ONE!   we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work.  instead, we get race mode junk.  how DUMB.  we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work, this has been there for years and now it was removed.    scrap race mode dumb idea from a 10 year old.   

24 Replies
Level 15
Oct 11, 2022 2:01:52 PM

Seems like that function is being glitchy right now ... you can always look at the actual return instead ...  

You can peek at only  the Federal form 1040 and the summary of the state info by going here:

1) lower- Left side of the screen...click to the left side of the "Tax Tools" text selection.
2)  then select "Tools"
3) then select "View Tax Summary" from the pop-up
4) then back to the left-side and "Preview 1040"

Then hit the "Back" on the left side to get back to your tax entries.

To view your entire return using the online editions (including the state) before you file, you will need to pay for your online account.

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2021 return at this time, click on Tax Tools >>> Tools  and then Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Continue.  On the next screen it will ask if you want Audit Defense, if you do not want this option just click on the Continue button.  The next screen will ask for all your credit card information so you can pay for the account.

Level 15
Oct 11, 2022 2:23:14 PM

There have been several users that have had this issue.  The moderators are looking into the problem.  As already suggested, look at your actual Form 1040 for your refund on line 35a or your tax due on line 37.

Level 15
Oct 11, 2022 6:45:22 PM

@heatherkafka 

Is there a greater-than symbol (>) at the top left where the tax due should be? Does the tax due appear if you click the greater-than symbol?

Level 2
Oct 11, 2022 6:55:30 PM

Thank you SO MUCH for this!

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply and give me so much detail.

Thanks again.

Level 2
Oct 11, 2022 6:55:59 PM

Thank you so much!

Level 2
Oct 11, 2022 6:57:42 PM

There's nothing up there.

Seems odd. 

Might be like others have suggested and Turbo Tax is having a glitchy issue.

Level 15
Oct 12, 2022 4:56:50 AM

It is working on the FREE test account I have but not on the Self employed account ... definately a program glitch.  It is really a useless tool since the amount continues to fluctuate  and inaccurate until you are completely done with the return at which time you should be verifying your information on the tax forms themselves to confirm that Refund=O=Meter is even correct. 

Level 2
Oct 12, 2022 7:33:39 AM

True. True.

Though I am NEVER getting a refund so it helps encourage me to KEEP GOING looking for those deductions.

Or gives me overwhelming anxiety at how the total is going nowhere.

Level 2
Jan 21, 2023 1:52:46 PM

this needs to be fixed  and show this running estimate at the top.   instead we get this   worthless race mode at the TOP    how dumb   

Level 15
Jan 21, 2023 1:55:11 PM

CLICK ON THE REVIEW ....

Level 2
Jan 21, 2023 1:59:00 PM

who wants this DUMB race mode.  NO ONE!   we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work.  instead, we get race mode junk.  how DUMB.  we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work, this has been there for years and now it was removed.    scrap race mode dumb idea from a 10 year old.   

Level 15
Jan 21, 2023 2:01:32 PM

CLICK ON THE REVIEW TO LOSE THE RACE MODE  ....

Level 2
Jan 21, 2023 2:05:36 PM

This needs to be FIXED.   we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work.  instead, we get race mode junk.  how DUMB.  we need the estimated tax amount due or refunded to show at the top as we work, this has been there for years and now it was removed.    scrap this race mode dumb idea from a 10 year old that is where the total due or refunded would appear for years as users are working.   

Level 1
Jan 24, 2023 3:56:08 PM

I might be a little late on this now, but it just happened to me and I thought I'd share that it automatically fixed itself when I clicked on "federal review" tab.  If that doesn't work, try clicking the "state review" tab.  Good luck.

Level 15
Jan 24, 2023 3:59:25 PM

@jamesbradley 

Did you mean the review at the end of the race track (as in my screen shot)  or the fed / state review in the menu bar on the left ? 

Level 15
Jan 24, 2023 5:36:34 PM

Level 1
Jan 25, 2023 11:16:02 AM

Man! I couldn't agree more!  Who's dumb idea was 'race mode' Running total was standard for years. Please bring it back and ditch the race mode!

Level 1
Jan 26, 2023 11:01:17 AM

Thanks so much! Clicking on state review made the federal refund bar pop back up. Thanks for the fix

Level 2
Jan 27, 2023 8:11:44 AM

holy camole! it worked!! thank you!!!!!!!! I got it back!

Level 1
Feb 2, 2023 7:03:40 AM

@jamesbradley THANK YOU!! Hopping to State Taxes and back DID populate my running tax/refund header!!!  Whoohoo

Level 1
Feb 2, 2023 7:15:09 AM

@Critter-3 Sorry, but that running number is definitely NOT "useless"!  Go ahead and laugh, but I use that number the ENTIRE time I'm completing my info --- and have for ?20 years.  In my particular situation, my spouse and I split the tax/refund based on our own segments of the joint return.  I enter my (primary) income, 1099's, etc., and all the family/kids impacts such as education, local taxes, new vehicles, ..., whatever, and capture screenshot evidence at each stage (including the running tax/refund total -- to show each impact).  My spouse then enters additional social security, medical, farm, royalties, etc., and (again) we monitor/clip the views -- including the running tax/refund totals to document the impacts.  In the end, we divvy up the deltas to determine our respective shares.  It works for us most conveniently when that running tax/refund total is just automatically right there in EVERY screenshot.  Thank you

Level 15
Feb 2, 2023 7:20:41 AM

@cmeri 

Actually what you are doing is not  truely accurate.  What you should be using is the downloaded program so you have access to the what if tool.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Level 1
Feb 26, 2023 7:38:23 AM

Easy enough to turn off the annoying RACE MODE. Still no recovery of the running total and nothing to click on. Very annoying. I've seen a few responses on clicking Fed Review and State Review and <> signs (???). Nothing works. It's always been conveniently visible at that top. VERY ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!

Level 15
Feb 26, 2023 7:40:04 AM

@dutchman85 I think you are not the only one annoyed by the new "race mode."  Include me.

Click < or > to get the refund monitor to appear.  You might also have to toggle off that “race mode” or click Review.