Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:39:19 PM

Where do you add your IP PIN?

When I filed my taxes there was no question asking me for my IP PIN Number.  So my taxes got rejected.  When I logged back into Turbo tax they said I needed to fix my return, so I clicked the blue button.  When the screen change it brought me to the place to enter my IP PIN Number and then e-filed it.  There isn't a page when you initially do your taxes for the IP PIN Number.  I was so relieved.

0 67 25863
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 4:39:22 PM

I am attaching the following instructions for your reference.  Hope the information helps!  Make sure you click on the blue links to expand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

24 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 4:39:21 PM

Thanks for sharing but you had this issue last year, as did I and it still has not been fixed. We have to submit our returns, wait for them to get rejected, then fix them and resubmit. That hardly sounds like the correct process and Quicken has let this remain a problem for over a year now. I guess it is time to look for a different service and I surely can't recommend this program at this this time and they don't even provide an appropriate response, only someone else that has had the same problem and worked through it. Thanks again.

Intuit Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 4:39:22 PM

I am attaching the following instructions for your reference.  Hope the information helps!  Make sure you click on the blue links to expand.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301088

Feb 9, 2020 2:15:01 PM

the reply i got said to open my return and search for IP Pin but there is no place to do that. i can see the box on my federal return where the number is supposed to go when i view my federal filing forms, but there is no place in any of the pages that i worked on to do my return to include that pin number. what should i do?

Level 15
Feb 9, 2020 2:16:26 PM

How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

1. Open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, answer No instead.
  4. Select Continue.

Level 2
Apr 4, 2020 9:50:45 AM

Un F---ING believable!  Same problem, TurboTax Home & Business 2019 (up-to-date as of April 4, 2020).

TurboTax NEVER asks me for the IP PIN during the Step by Step process and the e-Filing process, and the returns are rejected.

There is no way to "Search" for IP PIN in TurboTax.

It turns out to be located on the "Info Wks", and copied to the Form 1040 - but the IP PIN line on the Form 1040 is NOT linked to the Info Wks so you can just click through to it.

HOW INCOMPETENT ARE YOU, INTUIT!

May 6, 2020 10:48:47 AM

This information is completely wrong! There is no where in TurboTax to Search and put in "IP PIN" while in your return. 

The correct answer is: 

While in your return - Click on the "Federal" Link on the left side of your screen.

It will then take you to the Federal taxes page. On top of the page you will see Other Tax Situations click on that link. It will take you to another page where you will find Enter IP PIN (it is halfway down the list).

I had to call TurboTax and the guy on the phone could not find it. He asked two supervisor before we found it.  Ridiculous! I hope this helps. 

Expert Alumni
May 7, 2020 6:03:33 PM

To go directly to the area of your tax return to enter your IP PIN, be sure that you are inside your tax return and then use the following steps:  

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “IP PIN” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to IP PIN
  • Click on the blue “Jump to IP PIN” link and enter your information

Feb 20, 2021 5:10:40 AM

I am only able to insert a 5 character IP PIN.  The one I received from the IRS is 6 characters.  ???

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 5:20:30 AM

@Ss_zumbo wrote:

I am only able to insert a 5 character IP PIN.  The one I received from the IRS is 6 characters.  ???

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Mar 5, 2021 12:52:43 PM

why wasn't this fixed from last year? 

i just received a letter from the IRS with a new pin numberwhich is 6 digits, but the software only allow the entry of 5 digits???? THIS SAME PROBLEM CAUSED A DELAY IN MY FILING LAST YEAR AND NOW ITS

'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!  VERY FRUSTRATING- YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!

Level 15
Mar 5, 2021 12:58:20 PM

There are two PINs - the 6 digit IPPIN that the IRS mails to you and the 5 digit filing pin to electronically sign your tax return.

They are entered in different places.

The IPPIN is entered as DoninGa said above.

Level 15
Mar 5, 2021 1:01:21 PM

@denmiami wrote:

why wasn't this fixed from last year? 

i just received a letter from the IRS with a new pin numberwhich is 6 digits, but the software only allow the entry of 5 digits???? THIS SAME PROBLEM CAUSED A DELAY IN MY FILING LAST YEAR AND NOW ITS

'S HAPPENING AGAIN!!!!  VERY FRUSTRATING- YOU GUYS ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!

The IP PIN entry has always been available in the TuboTax software.

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Mar 15, 2021 8:24:06 PM

@AnnetteB6  I dare you to post a screenshot of this. There is no "Jump to PIN" button in the help.
You are useless.

Expert Alumni
Mar 15, 2021 8:36:32 PM

@nccsa186  There is a big difference between the 5-digit self-selected PIN you are asking about and the 6-digit IP PIN provided by the IRS for those who request or require a higher level of ID protection on their tax return.  If you are looking for a Jump to PIN link, then you are correct it doesn't exist.  But the link to the IP PIN does exist.  

Please see this link for more information, which we hope assists you:  Is my Self-Select PIN the same as my IP PIN?

Level 1
Mar 30, 2021 4:44:33 PM

You add the PIN under the Federal Tax Tab/ Other Tax Situations.  Please follow the instructions below. 

To Add:

1. Open your return.
  2. Select (click on) the “Federal Tax Tab.”
  3. Select (click on) “Other Tax Situations.”
  4. Scroll down until you see “Other Return Info.”
  5. Select Identity protection PIN by selecting (click on) “Start.”
  6. Select “Yes” and the individual names on your return will drop down.
  7. Then enter the IP PIN number that corresponds to the individual listed.
  8. Review the IP PIN again, if it’s correct, select (click on) continue.
  9. Select (click on) “Done with other,” you have now entered your IP PIN.
  10. Save your return.

Apr 15, 2021 4:25:11 PM

Trying to file my taxes.  Can't enter my IP PIN from the IRS. Tried everything I read on the internet.  This is crazy.

Level 15
Apr 15, 2021 4:28:14 PM

@Eric6969 wrote:

Trying to file my taxes.  Can't enter my IP PIN from the IRS. Tried everything I read on the internet.  This is crazy.

Returning Member
Apr 26, 2021 11:00:04 AM

This may work for the online version, but it does not work on home and business cd-rom version.

Employee Tax Expert
Apr 27, 2021 1:12:19 PM

Log back into your TurboTax program.

1. Select the Personal tab.
  2. Select Other Tax Situations
  3. Scroll down to the section titled Other Return Info
  4. Select start/edit to the right of Identity Protection PIN
  5. Proceed to follow the steps to enter your information from the IRS.

@pjv1941

May 11, 2021 9:31:33 AM

The search answer is totally wrong. Get it together Intuit!

The actual answer: Intuit uses "Info Works" forms that transfer the data to the actual IRS forms.

Go to forms view.

Scroll to the top of the list of your forms to the 1040 forms.

You will see 1040wks

Below that you may see schedule 1, 2, 3 etc.

Then just below that you will see "Info Wks"

Open the 1040 Info Wks form.

Scroll down to Part VII

Just below the Part VII heading you will see "Identity Protection Pin"

If you or your spouse have received an IP Pin. Enter it here.

The data entry will be transferred to you return for efiling.

In my case I had not received an IP PIN from the IRS but my return was still rejected. So I set up an IRS identity account and got an IP PIN. That corrected the efile problem.

Expert Alumni
May 11, 2021 10:14:17 AM

To enter your IP PIN, follow these steps:

• From inside TurboTax, do a search for IP PIN.
  • Click the Jump to link in the search results.

For more details, see: How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?

Level 3
May 13, 2021 7:33:29 PM

Go on the search bar and type IP PIN.  It will give you a link to the field where the number goes with an arrow icon.  

Level 1
May 14, 2021 8:52:40 AM

I agree, TurboTax should include the IP PIN in the interview questions. My return was also rejected because TurboTax never asked for the IP PIN.

I had to hunt down which form one would enter the IP PIN on and manually locate the form in TurboTax. Despite my eFile being rejected twice, TurboTax did not show a "Fix my return" option anywhere - not in the menus, homescreen, Check Status, eFile, etc. Super frustrating.

Employee Tax Expert
May 14, 2021 9:00:19 AM

You can also enter it by going into the federal section of the program.

1. Select Your uncommon tax situations
  2. Select Other Return Info
  3. Select Identity Protection PIN
  4. Proceed to follow the steps to enter your information from the IRS