Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:47:40 PM

Where do I report a health insurance premium refund?

I received a small refund check (a portion of premiums paid) in 2018 from the health insurance company I had in 2017 because of the Affordable Care Act's "Medical Loss Ratio" requirement. Do I report this on my tax return, and if so, where on TurboTax would I report it?

1 1 2725
1 Best answer
Jun 3, 2019 4:47:41 PM

It depends if you deducted your health insurance premiums and the deduction caused a your refund to increase or your amount due to decrease (aka tax break). 

If you received a tax break, you would enter it on Form 1040, line 21. Here's how:

1. On the left navigation side, select Federal.
  2. Under the Income & Expenses tab, scroll down to All Income.
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income, click on Show more.
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and click on Start/Revisit.
  5. On the next page, scroll down to Other reportable income and click on Start.
  6. Continue until you get to the Other Taxable Income screen and enter a Description and the amount and Continue.

1 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 4:47:41 PM

It depends if you deducted your health insurance premiums and the deduction caused a your refund to increase or your amount due to decrease (aka tax break). 

If you received a tax break, you would enter it on Form 1040, line 21. Here's how:

1. On the left navigation side, select Federal.
  2. Under the Income & Expenses tab, scroll down to All Income.
  3. Scroll down to Less Common Income, click on Show more.
  4. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and click on Start/Revisit.
  5. On the next page, scroll down to Other reportable income and click on Start.
  6. Continue until you get to the Other Taxable Income screen and enter a Description and the amount and Continue.