Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 27, 2021 8:59:14 AM

What is the “filers federal ID no.”

I am manually entering my schools information as they never sent a 1098-T form. It’s asking for a “filers federal ID number.” What is that, and where can i obtain that

1 11 9397
11 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 28, 2021 8:14:51 AM

Try to log into your online college account and go to their financial section to get financial details. If you didn't receive a Form 1098-T, you can still enter your school expenses without a Form 1098-T. When you come to the screen asking if you received a Form 1098-T, simply answer “no” to that question and proceed with the rest of the interview. 

To report your Education expenses:

• Login to your account.
  • Select Federal from the left menu.
  • Go to Deductions and Credits.
  • Scroll down to Education.
  • Select Start next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)

Level 1
Apr 12, 2021 1:18:13 PM

Maya, You didn't answer the question. We need to know what the Filer ID is and where to find it.  If it is the School's Federal ID, the form should be straightforward and use that term.  Remember, we use Turbo Tax because we're not accountants.

Expert Alumni
Apr 12, 2021 1:28:42 PM

The ''filer's federal ID no.'' is at the top of Form 1098-T.   If you don't have Form 1098-T, you have to answer NO to that question.  You will only be asked for that number if entering Form 1098-T as it is specific to the school.  The ID number is referenced as Filer's employer identification number on the form.    @Mapper23

Mar 30, 2022 12:03:30 PM

I will give it a try. Thanks

Level 2
Feb 4, 2023 9:18:09 AM

What if our kids are in school like elementary?? Do we just leave it blank? Tia 

Level 15
Feb 4, 2023 9:22:33 AM

@AmberLynne Your children are in elementary school?

EDUCATION EXPENSES

Education expenses for grades K-12 are not deductible on your Federal return, whether for private, public, or home schooling, nor are the expenses for tutoring, after school lessons or after school activities, such as dance lessons, sports, etc.  Some states allow deductions/credits for K-12 education and/or home schooling expenses; if your state has these deductions available, you will be prompted to enter them when you prepare your state return.  (As far as I know, the states that offer any sort of K-12 deductions/credits are Arizona,  Illinois, Indiana, Iowa,Louisiana, Minnesota, and Wisconsin)

Feb 22, 2023 4:12:32 AM

Liberty university 

Expert Alumni
Feb 22, 2023 5:13:10 AM

Please contact the school to get their EIN number. 

That number is required when entering education expenses for an education credit on a Federal Return.

For questions regarding Form 1098-T from Liberty University, please e-mail studentaccounts1098@liberty.edu.

Liberty University Website link

@Troubs5355 

Mar 18, 2023 12:02:10 PM

I have the EIN number for my college, which is in Canada. Should I put the EIN number for my school where it says "Filer's federal ID no."?

Thank you!

Expert Alumni
Mar 18, 2023 12:34:12 PM

Yes

That is the same thing- "Filer's Federal ID no." and "EIN". 

Mar 18, 2023 12:35:25 PM

Thanks!