Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 16, 2023 2:11:06 PM

What do I do if I owe income tax but don't have the money to pay it right now?

Can I request a payment plan through turbotax?

0 2 328
1 Best answer
Level 15
Apr 16, 2023 2:13:35 PM

You can setup a payment plan when you go through the interview to file your taxes.  Or, you can apply for a payment plan on the IRS website.  On a payment plan, you will still incur penalty and interest until the full amount of taxes due are paid.

Avoid a penalty by filing and paying your tax by the due date, even if you can’t pay what you owe.

For individuals and businesses: Apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreement) to pay off your balance over time. Fees apply.

For more information on payment plans including streamlined, in-business trust fund express, guaranteed, and partial payment installment agreements refer to Tax Topic No. 202-Tax Payment Options.

Apply for a Payment Plan

2 Replies
Level 15
Apr 16, 2023 2:13:35 PM

You can setup a payment plan when you go through the interview to file your taxes.  Or, you can apply for a payment plan on the IRS website.  On a payment plan, you will still incur penalty and interest until the full amount of taxes due are paid.

Avoid a penalty by filing and paying your tax by the due date, even if you can’t pay what you owe.

For individuals and businesses: Apply online for a payment plan (including installment agreement) to pay off your balance over time. Fees apply.

For more information on payment plans including streamlined, in-business trust fund express, guaranteed, and partial payment installment agreements refer to Tax Topic No. 202-Tax Payment Options.

Apply for a Payment Plan

Apr 16, 2023 2:22:13 PM

Under payment methods there are options for installment payments, etc.