Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:40:09 PM

What do i do if i didnt receive a 1099G for unemployment

0 43 26341
24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:40:11 PM

this is not answering my question

Jun 7, 2019 3:40:12 PM

the unemployment web site is useless. the phone numbers they provide are just as useless. I called 3 phone numbers and every time that person said call this number. What the hell

Jun 7, 2019 3:40:14 PM

This is typical NYS government red tape.  It should not be this &^$% hard to get 1099-ginfo.  Thanks again governor Cuomo.

Jun 7, 2019 3:40:15 PM

lost 1099G 2017

Jun 7, 2019 3:40:17 PM

How do I get the 1099G 2018 form?????  They never sent it. I had to file an extension.

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:40:17 PM

Most states stopped sending it, and expect you to get it from their website.

Jun 7, 2019 3:40:19 PM

If you received unemployment benefits this year, you can expect to receive a Form 1099-G “Certain Government Payments” that lists the total amount of compensation you received. The IRS considers unemployment compensation to be taxable income—which you must report on your federal tax return. Some states also count unemployment benefits as taxable income.

Depending on your state, you may be able to get your 1099-G online. to determine how or when you will be receiving this form please contact your State's Department of Revenue.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

Returning Member
Jan 23, 2020 4:41:06 PM

If  you didn't receive a 1099-G from your state unemployment office, 1. fill out the TurboTax 1099-G as well as you can with an estimate or the correct numbers if you have them. This may not E-file in turbo tax if the program sees it as incomplete, but you can then 2. mail this as a paper copy with your taxes (certified will prove it was on time) by the deadline. I realize the Post Office seems archaic, but make certified copies to prove you were diligent. You can later file an amended form, but if you never receive a 1099-G, the estimate will have to do. 3. Try to call the IRS and let them know that you were unable to get a copy...they may be able to get the information and correct your form. (They will be happy to take your money). Best case scenario, you can email these to the person working your case and you can send a copy to your email as well.  Just try to get it in on time, even if it is partially incorrect. KEEP COPIES of all correspondence. One time I had to copy THEIR letters to me and mail them back. Cover yourself! Best of Luck...

May 4, 2020 2:00:05 PM

I just filed my 2019 taxes.  I did not file in 2018.  What do I need to do for the stimulus and also for unemployment?  Also, as a server in a restaurant I wondered if the unemployment was retro back to the date of the pandemic mandatory date of close of business for my position within the company?

Please help!  Thank you, 

Debra Parsley

Expert Alumni
May 6, 2020 8:37:54 AM

Regarding the unemployment, that is administered at the state level, so we cannot give advice on how that will be handled. However, your state unemployment website should have guidance on this. 

If you filed your 2019 return, the IRS can use this information to calculate stimulus eligibility for you. 

Also, the IRS rolled out the "Get My Payment" tool here. According to IRS.gov, you can use the "Get My Payment" application to:

• Check your payment status
  • Confirm your payment type: direct deposit or check
  • Enter your bank account information for direct deposit if the IRS doesn't  have your direct deposit information and if they haven't sent your payment yet.
  • Receive paper check payments: If you moved since you last filed, let us know your new mailing address.

According to the IRS FAQs:

Get My Payment will display one of the following payment statuses:

1. Payment Status (one of two statuses) –

• A payment has been processed, a payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail.
  • You are eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not available.

2. Need More Information – You are eligible for a payment, but we do not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP.

3. Payment Status Not Available – We cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, this could mean:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
  • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

If a payment date is not provided, updates to your payment status are made no more than once per day.

@Debrakathryn

Level 2
Jan 25, 2021 10:07:00 AM

[PII removed] are both waiting for are papers for taxes so we can file 

Expert Alumni
Jan 25, 2021 10:29:41 AM

The due date for Forms 1099-G to get to recipients isn't until January 31st, so just sit tight until then.

Please see Guide to Information Returns in the IRS's General Instructions for Certain Information Returns for more information.

If you don't receive your 1099-G by that date, you should contact the relevant state office to inquire about its status.

Feb 3, 2021 1:27:09 PM

I don't think the experts understand our question.  The State Unemployment offices have been inundated with claims this past year due to COVID and record numer of claims.  They are NOT answering phones or responding to email - so there is absolutely no way for us to request copies of our 1099-Gs.  I have been trying for 3 months to reach someone to change my address to avoid not getting this form.

So - what happens if we don't ever receive a 1099-G.  Turbo Tax won't allow us to complete our taxes without the EIC number.  If I wanted to file a paper copy of my taxes I'd do everything by hand and bypass the ridiculous fee Turbo Tax charges.   (I've been using Turbo Tax for the past 15 years and have never been so frustrated with the product as I am right now with this issue)

At least allow us to enter the details we have without the EIC and file our taxes.

Level 15
Feb 3, 2021 1:29:27 PM

The IRS won't open until Feb 12 so there's no hurry to file.  

Some states will mail out the 1099G.  Or you might need to go to your state’s unemployment website and use the password, etc. that you have been using to certify for weekly benefits to get your 1099G from the state’s site.

Feb 8, 2021 11:30:37 AM

You open this website, provide your unemployment benefit ID claim and some personal information which is the same information applied in your connect account and request to send 1099G through email or mail

https://1099grequest.myflorida.com/

Returning Member
Feb 21, 2021 2:37:10 PM

where do i put in the info from 1099-g

Level 15
Feb 21, 2021 2:40:14 PM

@LYNETTELEENAY wrote:

where do i put in the info from 1099-g

The Form 1099-G is used for many different types of income.  Why did you receive the 1099-G?

Mar 17, 2021 9:14:42 AM

I made a call to DEO regarding my 1099G on Monday March 8 and I was given an email address(1099GREQUEST.MY FLORIDA .COM).  Since the 8th I have gone on the site 2x to make a request to have it sent by mail and email.  I'm not sure what to do if I do not receive in time to file my taxes.

Please advise - Thank You - Jeanette LaVorgna 

[email address removed]

[phone number removed] / [address removed]

Intuit Alumni
Mar 17, 2021 9:50:01 AM

What kind of 1099-G are you trying to get?

@Jeanette5671

Mar 27, 2021 7:25:24 AM

Unemployment website for Florida states it mailed out 1099-G at end of January 2021. I have not seen it in the mail nor been able to print it out on the unemployment website. I can't finish my 2020 taxes without the 1099-G from the state of Florida. I have not received any notices from anyone concerning the availability of the 1099-G. I'm I the only one experiencing this situation?

Mar 27, 2021 7:28:14 AM

Yes, I've done that myself .Just like you, I did it twice and still waiting. Not sure what's the hold up?

Intuit Alumni
Mar 27, 2021 9:27:07 AM

@rnegron599, in this case, the only thing you could do is to check with the government agency that made the payments to you. I would suggest trying to locate a contact number for them. 

The good news here is, per the IRS, the federal income tax filing due date for individuals for the 2020 tax year will be automatically extended from April 15, 2021, to May 17, 2021.

Please let us know if this helps.

Apr 9, 2021 8:17:51 AM

this has nothing to do with the question. the question is what if they don't sent you the form

Apr 9, 2021 8:57:18 AM

Keep in mind, 1099-G form is every important to anyone who are receiving or received unemployment benefit in 2020 and later, because:

a. Unemployment benefit is taxable and you have to show it as your unearned-income in your tax return 2020

b. Due to CARES update on March 2021, people who received unemployment benefit will get tax exempt for the first $10,200 from total unemployment benefit  which mean you may not pay any tax if your total unemployment benefit in 2020 is under $10,200 and you may reduce (get more refund) if you paid the Federal Tax Withheld for your unemployment benefit already

How to get the 1099-G

1. On unemployment website (Connect account) - you need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader to open pdf file so that you can download directly from your account

2. If you cannot download form Connect account, open www.floridajobs.org, click on the banner " Chat with Us", a chat box pop-up, ask some of your last four digits of SS, name, phone number, address, Connect account ID number and then a real person will chat and help you how to get your 1099G or anything related to your unemployment benefit, pending issue, backdate payment ....ect.

Goodluck to everyone