Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 20, 2023 8:54:39 AM

Turbotax is not reading Koinly's Form 8949 & Sched D and their Turbotax CSV has different headers. How do I get my crypto activity recorded on Koinly into Turbotax?

0 5 633
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 20, 2023 9:17:51 AM

Are you able to download a .csv file from Koinly?  I have been able to upload a .csv file to TurboTax Premier Online.

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Your income / Investments and Savings.
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right of Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other.
  • Click Add investments.
  • At the screen Get ready to be impressed, click Continue.
  • At the screen Let’s import your tax info, click Enter a different way.
  • At the screen OK, let’s start with one investment type, select Cryptocurrency.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen Select your crypto experience, select Upload.  Click Continue.
  • At the screen What’s the name of the crypto service, select Other and enter the name of the service.
  • Click Continue.
  • At the screen Go ahead and upload your crypto CSV file, upload the file.

The .csv should follow this format.

• All the columns from the .csv file were deleted except for the five columns listed below.   
  • All other lines other than the headings and the five columns of data were deleted.

•    Purchase Date
  •    Date Sold
  •    Proceeds
  •    Cost Basis
  •    Currency Name

This is the .csv file format.

A                   B              C                  D                   E

purchase date  date sold    proceeds   cost basis   currency name

11/24/2021        2/1/2022    1,779.96     1,916.52         ABFOA

12/7/2021          4/1/2022    1,111.46     1,225.45         ABFOA

11/24/2021        3/1/2022    1,638.54     1,638.54         ABFOA

Apr 16, 2023 4:36:44 PM

I'm getting this error message after deleting the header that I dont need and only leaving:

Purchase Date, Date sold, Proceeds, cost basis, and Currency Name.

Error is:

You uploaded a CSV file containing Gain/Loss information. Please go back and choose the respective Gain/Loss provider to upload this file.

Not sure what to do next?

Expert Alumni
Apr 17, 2023 10:22:50 AM

Leave the header that you deleted and try again.

@syklor 

Apr 17, 2023 3:10:01 PM

Im having the same issue- with headers or without headers the csv is not loading and showing the same error

Apr 17, 2023 3:22:50 PM

Figured it out- for anyone with the same issue, make sure to enter the documents NOT via the "Crypto CSV" choice, rather to go to the "Ill enter it myself" workflow