Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 4:18:16 PM

Trying to e-file but says i have to go to turbo tax menu to upload new files. where is the turbo tax menu? I am using a mac.

1 13 2259
1 Best answer
Jun 3, 2019 4:18:17 PM

When TurboTax is open, move your cursor to the menu bar at the top of your screen. Click TurboTax. "Check for updates" should be the third item in the drop-down. At this point in the tax season, updates (especially forms updates) are being released very quickly. Updating often is recommended.

13 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 4:18:17 PM

When TurboTax is open, move your cursor to the menu bar at the top of your screen. Click TurboTax. "Check for updates" should be the third item in the drop-down. At this point in the tax season, updates (especially forms updates) are being released very quickly. Updating often is recommended.

Feb 20, 2021 12:30:20 PM

Thanks, but That doesn't seem to work for me. The only think at the top of the home page that says Turbo Tax is the logo, which is not clickable. None of the clickable icons on the top page provides a drop down where "check for updates" is an option.

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 12:32:28 PM

@mrlandes   Please give your details.  This post is several years old and the answers may be out of date.  Are you using the Desktop program on Windows or Mac?  

How to update the CD/Download Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-update-turbotax-cd-download/00/26038

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 12:32:40 PM

@mrlandes wrote:

Thanks, but That doesn't seem to work for me. The only think at the top of the home page that says Turbo Tax is the logo, which is not clickable. None of the clickable icons on the top page provides a drop down where "check for updates" is an option.

The answer provided was for TurboTax desktop editions installed on a personal computer.

You are using the TurboTax online editions which are automatically updated.

Feb 20, 2021 4:09:41 PM

I am working from a desktop version on a Mac. No clickable menu item at the top of the page that gives a "check for updates" option. And definitely not automatically updated, since it wouldn't allow me to e-file until I manually updated. What finally worked was to completely quit Turbotax then reopen, at which point there was a popup dialogue box that provided a means to update. Still a mystery how one can update through a user selected menu option, but perhaps it's intentional not to give that option. Instructions could definitely be clearer on this issue, especially since the chat suggests that it is common to have to update at the point of filing.

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 4:22:05 PM

See screenshot:

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 4:23:03 PM

Right, Mac does not have a menu item to update.  Only the way you found.  On a Mac, quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 4:24:31 PM

@macuser_22   Is that new?  Even the FAQ says to quit and reopen Mac.

Level 15
Feb 20, 2021 5:03:52 PM

@VolvoGirl wrote:

@macuser_22   Is that new?  Even the FAQ says to quit and reopen Mac.

No.   Been there for many years as far back as I can remember (at least as far back as 2009).    I never quit since I leave TT running 24X7.

Returning Member
Mar 23, 2021 10:57:19 AM

There is no "menu bar" on the mac that has a drop down menu.

Level 15
Mar 23, 2021 10:59:46 AM

Did you see the screen shot several posts above?  Move your cursor to the very top and the Apple menu bar shows up.

Returning Member
Mar 23, 2021 11:01:02 AM

Did not see those posts. Yes, I now see the menu bar on my desktop. I was only looking at the "menu" on the Turbo Tax application.

Returning Member
Mar 23, 2021 11:02:53 AM

Works like a charm. Thank you for enlightening me!!!