Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Feb 13, 2021 9:08:34 AM

Signing a tax return as parent - Childs first tax return

Do I need to sign a tax return I helped prepare for my 16 yr old child ?

This is her first tax return with minimal earned income from a first job.   If so, how do you sign as parent in turbotax CD version (if necessary for an e-filed return) - i've read that if the minor can, then they should "sign" their return.  This may be academic since it is e-filed, but wasn't sure.   Isn't a good idea to sign as parent so the parent can be available in case the IRS has questions ?  should i e-file as is, or as parent is there anything else i need to do before clicking submit with my childs name. 

Also, as parent may i use my email address and phone number when requested in TurboTax as opposed to my childs,etc

Thanks for any help !

0 3 647
1 Best answer
Level 15
Feb 13, 2021 10:54:04 AM

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

3 Replies
Level 15
Feb 13, 2021 10:54:04 AM

on the info worksheet there is a place for a third-party designee. enter your name, phone number and a personal pin.

this way the IRS will contact you if there are questions.   use $0 for her prior AGI.  no further signature is required. 

Level 3
Apr 28, 2023 8:27:35 AM

I know this is old and may not apply anymore but I send my child's in by mail.  I type in on Adobe my child's name "By my name, parent for minor child." Then sign the exact same way under signature part.

This way I can talk to the IRS, because the 3rd Party Designee is only good for 1 year.  It sucks that we can't e-file because there is nowhere to sign/input that. 

Level 15
Apr 28, 2023 8:36:55 AM

You can enter a 3rd party designed in the Desktop program using Forms and efile or mail it.