Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Mar 26, 2022 1:20:34 PM

Return rejected due to Form 1116 ResidenceForeignCountryCd

My federal return was rejected with the message "/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ResidenceForeignCountryCd - Data in the return is missing or invalid".

In TurboTax, it advices me to "go to the Deductions & Credits Tab. Navigate to the menu heading Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, and select Foreign Taxes. Proceed to answer all the questions in the Foreign Taxes topic."

I did so, but there are no questions about my residence country. In the PDF printout of my return, I can see that my return has seven Form 1116s, all of which have line h ("Resident of (name of country)") set to "USA", which is indeed where I live.

Is this a bug? Is there something I can do to work around it without filing a paper return?

2 3 470
3 Replies
Apr 9, 2022 6:26:17 AM

I had the same error, and got tired of trying to figure out how to fix it to be able to file electronically, so I just decided to print and file by mail, as annoying as that is. Will try again next year...

Returning Member
Apr 15, 2022 12:56:01 PM

I am having the same issue and I have tried all of the available options - i.e., RIC, Other Countries & Various, but to No Avail.  Why?  I don't want to have my Federal and/or State of Michigan rejected and NOT be able to E-file both Federal and State Returns.  HELP!!!  - Sam E.

Intuit Alumni
Apr 16, 2022 9:56:58 AM

It would be best if you are still experiencing the same issue, to follow the instructions here to contact us by phone so we can better assist you.