Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 18, 2022 7:02:35 PM

Previously I filed my son's return using my TurboTax account. Tonight he filed his return after setting-up his own account. It's on a 48 hr hold. How can it be released?

We have two hours before the deadline and the wait time for Turbo Tax help is over an hour. Can something be done as a user to clear this w/out a phone call?

0 3 226
3 Replies
Level 15
Apr 18, 2022 7:05:35 PM

In your account, where you "originally" filed the tax return, does it show a status of "accepted" by the IRS? If so, the 2nd attempt to e-file from a different account will "NOT" process.

Apr 18, 2022 7:13:04 PM

Previous years, 2019, and 2020 I filed for him.  This year he filed with the different account. (There has only been one submission for tax year 2021)

Level 15
Apr 19, 2022 8:10:49 AM

Should be fine then. As for the hold, I would expect that it was because it's done this year with a different account. If a refund is due, then there's really no issue with it being late, as no fines or penalties will be assessed. But if taxes are owed, the hold does not prevent one from paying those taxes on time directly to the IRS at www.irs.gov/payments. Of course, that would be day late now. If owed and paid today, then *if* the irs was assessing any late payment penalties those will be billed by U.S. Mail separately.