Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 3:03:45 PM

My daughter and I did our taxes on separate dates. She incorrectly stated no one could claim her as a dependent. When I did my taxes and claimed her, it was rejected.

Because she selected that I couldn't claim her when I can, my return says I owe $500. She earned less than $4K and was at home most of the year (more than 8 months). She already received her return. What should I do? Just pay the $500?

0 4 347
4 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 3:03:47 PM

There are two options; (1) You can file your return without her and pay the amount owed, or, (2) she will need to file an amende return claiming she is a dependent on someone else’s return, and then you will need to print and mail your return. 

Jun 4, 2019 3:03:48 PM

OK. She went through Turbo Tax to amend the return and say she can be claimed. The system said she needs to mail her new amended return in. Are you saying I also have to mail mine in? If so, will I be late?

Jun 4, 2019 3:03:50 PM

OK. She went through Turbo Tax to amend the return and say she can be claimed. The system said she needs to mail her new amended return in. Are you saying I also have to mail mine in? If so, will I be late?

Intuit Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 3:03:51 PM

Yes she will need to mail hers and you will need to mail yours. As long as you have a postmark of 4/15 you will be fine.