Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Apr 15, 2022 12:52:17 PM

In the Turbotax Desktop version, does efiling an extension and later efiling the same person's return count as 2 efilings Or as 1 against the 5 free efilings allowed for the product?

0 6 614
6 Replies
Level 15
Apr 15, 2022 12:55:00 PM

You e-filed the extension using the TurboTax online program.  Since you did not use the desktop program to e-file the extension it did not count as one of the five e-files.

Level 3
Apr 15, 2022 1:23:03 PM

I am using the Desktop version NOT online version. Does the efile of extension now using the Desktop version and later (after a month) efiling the return count as 2 efilings or 1?  Or are you indicating I cannot do efile of extension using the Desktop version?

Level 15
Apr 15, 2022 1:29:04 PM

@Spi36 wrote:

I am using the Desktop version NOT online version. Does the efile of extension now using the Desktop version and later (after a month) efiling the return count as 2 efilings or 1?  Or are you indicating I cannot do efile of extension using the Desktop version?

If you used the desktop edition to complete the extension request, that is a paper form that has to be printed and mailed to the IRS.  After completing the information for the extension there was a blue button

Print extension

If you want to e-file the extension go to this TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

Level 3
Apr 15, 2022 3:41:12 PM

Thank you! Is there a charge to efile the extension at the link you provided?

Level 15
Apr 15, 2022 3:45:14 PM

@Spi36 wrote:

Thank you! Is there a charge to efile the extension at the link you provided?

No, there is no charge for e-filing the extension request.

Level 3
Apr 16, 2022 6:04:38 AM

Thanks for the clarification.