Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jan 21, 2020 5:43:16 AM

In 2019 I sold a few company RSUs. These amounts were included as a part of my earnings in my W2. Do I also need to report the selling of these RSUs separately (Sched D)?

0 2 628
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 21, 2020 6:15:01 AM

Yes - You need to report the sale of the RSUs.

For a TurboTax Support Video on entering RSUs, please click here:  How do I enter Restricted Stock Units (RSU) sales in TurboTax Online? 

For more information, please see this TurboTax article:  How to Report RSUs or Stock Grants on Your Tax Return

Level 13
Jan 21, 2020 7:01:23 AM

You may, or may not need to report the stock sales, depending on circumstances.

If the sales were made some time after the vesting date then you will receive a 1099-B, and you will need to report the sales.  Understand that the basis reported on the 1099-B will almost certainly be $0, which is not correct.  Your per share basis is the same as the per share "fair market value" used by your employer to calculate the compensation received: GROSS number of shares received x per share FMV. 

If the sales were "same day" sales - stock sold simultaneously with the vesting - then you may or may not receive a 1099-B.  If you do receive a 1099-B then you certainly will have to report the sale; the typical "same day" sale results in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.  If you don't receive a 1099-B then you don't have to report the sale, though you may want to, just to recognize the small loss.