Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 17, 2021 4:25:23 PM

If I claim my mother-in-law (who lives with me) will that bar her from receiving the stimulus check? And can she still file her own taxes on the SS she receives?

My mother-in-law lives with us full time and we support her 100%. However, she does receive a sum for SS. If I can claim her and she still received the stimulus I would like to, but I won't if it will bar her from getting a stimulus check. Not sure if she just needs to file her own taxes and mark she is claimed as a dependant or if she has to file totally separate.

0 3 185
3 Replies
Level 15
Feb 17, 2021 4:35:17 PM

If you CAN claim her she can’t get the stimulus. Even if you don’t claim her, she still can’t get it. 

Level 1
Feb 19, 2021 6:30:26 AM

Thank you for the answer, but can you clarify why? That is, why would she not qualify for the stimulus even if she is not claimed as a dependant? Is it because she lacks income?  Thanks. 

Expert Alumni
Feb 19, 2021 12:22:24 PM

You aren't eligible for a stimulus check if someone can claim you as a dependent. If someone can claim you as a dependent, that person is the only one who can get a stimulus check for you, even if they don't claim you.

When you complete your tax return, you have to indicate if someone can claim you as a dependent. If so, you aren't eligible for a stimulus check.