Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 12:03:08 PM

I received a w2 from Austria Hof, And I did not work for them in 2016. I declared the w2 when I filed, just now, but, What do I do?

THw w2 says that I received a $537.25 from Austria Hof, but, I didn't work for them, nor received a paycheck from them for that amount in 2016

0 1 214
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:03:09 PM

You need to resolve that issue with the employer.  If you received a W-2, that means that information was reported to the IRS.  If you don't report it, then the IRS will send you a letter proposing an adjustment to your return.  It will be much easier to resolve with the employer than the IRS.  There isn't anything you can do from a filing standpoint other than not include it on your return, and then print and mail it to the IRS with a letter of explanation.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 3, 2019 12:03:09 PM

You need to resolve that issue with the employer.  If you received a W-2, that means that information was reported to the IRS.  If you don't report it, then the IRS will send you a letter proposing an adjustment to your return.  It will be much easier to resolve with the employer than the IRS.  There isn't anything you can do from a filing standpoint other than not include it on your return, and then print and mail it to the IRS with a letter of explanation.