Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 3:41:59 PM

I received 1099 MISC for a fellowship, how do I report this without it being self employed? I tried to report it under other reportable income, but it states not to.

0 2 2472
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 3:42:01 PM

You need to report the 1099-MISC income. However, fellowship Income is not subject to Social Security and Medicare (self-employment tax).

Since taxable fellowships have to be reported as wages, we want the amount to go to line 1 of the Form 1040. 

Here is how to enter your fellowship income in TurboTax:

• Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Wages & Income on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income section and click Show More
  • Click Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click Start next to Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  • Answer Yes on the Other Wages Received screen
  • Continue twice past Wages Earned as a Household Employee and Sick or Disability Pay
  • Answer Yes on the Any Other Earned Income screen
  • Select Other on the Enter Source of Other Earned Income screen
  • Enter the appropriate description and amount under the correct individual on the Any Other Earned Income screen

Jul 9, 2019 4:26:55 PM

Thank you for your response. I am in the same situation as g_ady and followed your suggested steps and was able to report my fellowship income in less common income but now TurboTax is taking me into a loop at the review stage by which it takes me to the bellow step

"Check This Entry
Form 1099-MISC Worksheet (NNN University): A Link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place. Here's what to do: Go to "Federal" and then "Wages & Income". Select "Income from Form 1099-MISC." Make sure to complete all of the info in this area.

But when I finish inputting all info in the "wages & income",  "Income from Form 1099-MISC," it loops again into review and asks me to "Check this entry" again."

Any help with this issue will be most appreciated.