Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:36:54 PM

I printed my return to mail, but now want to e-file. How can I?

0 17 8767
2 Best answers
Jun 7, 2019 3:36:55 PM

Yes you can change from mail to e-file - please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I change from mail to e-file?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3985787

Level 15
Feb 10, 2021 9:08:49 AM

@Dkeys2 You can change to e-file as long as you have not mailed in your return.

How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online?

If you printed your taxes to mail them in and went all the way through the File section, when you sign in to TurboTax Online you'll see the Way to go! You filed your 2020 taxes and you won't see a way to change to e-filing.

As long as you haven't already mailed your 2020 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2021). However, some states now require e-filing, which means the federal and state must be e-filed together.

If you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

17 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:36:55 PM

Yes you can change from mail to e-file - please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I change from mail to e-file?":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3985787

Jun 7, 2019 3:36:56 PM

Hello! I can't find the FILE tab. The only tabs are TAX HOME and PREVIOUS TAXES. And there's nowhere to access the Return, besides Amend/Change return...

Jun 7, 2019 3:36:58 PM

Me, too.

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:01 PM

Me too

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:02 PM

Same here...

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:04 PM

Ditto

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:05 PM

Same this info is for those who have the CD

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:07 PM

same here

Jun 7, 2019 3:37:08 PM

me too!

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:37:09 PM

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

Mar 6, 2020 12:36:16 PM

I can't find a file tab.  The only tabs I get are Home 

Jul 11, 2020 11:06:58 AM

YAY!!!!!Thank you so much VolvoGirl! I was finally able to do it this way (Add another State, no you dont need to add another state but it lets you open up your documents and change your filing opiton).  After all the TurboTax support chat i wasn't getting any answers. Shame that the support staff has no clue there is no File Tab or Tool. 

Returning Member
Feb 10, 2021 9:02:36 AM

I would like to e-file instead of mailing

Returning Member
Feb 10, 2021 9:04:45 AM

Like to e-file change my mind from mailing in

Level 15
Feb 10, 2021 9:08:49 AM

@Dkeys2 You can change to e-file as long as you have not mailed in your return.

How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online?

If you printed your taxes to mail them in and went all the way through the File section, when you sign in to TurboTax Online you'll see the Way to go! You filed your 2020 taxes and you won't see a way to change to e-filing.

As long as you haven't already mailed your 2020 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 15, 2021). However, some states now require e-filing, which means the federal and state must be e-filed together.

If you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

1. In TurboTax Online, sign in to your account.
  2. Select Tax Home in the left menu.
  3. Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents.
  4. Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this just gets you into the right area).
  5. Select File in the left menu (expand your browser window if you don't see this, or select the menu icon in the top left corner).
  6. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  7. Select the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  8. On the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select I want to e-file.
  9. Follow the instructions to e-file your return.

Apr 6, 2022 9:08:23 PM

How do I change

Level 15
Apr 6, 2022 9:19:35 PM

@Arthur Williams  wrote:

How do I change

You didn't say what you wanted to change, but based on the title of this thread, I'll assume you haven't yet filed and want to change from filing by mail to efiling.

Did you tell TurboTax you were going to print and mail your return, and now when you log in, your return interview is closed, and you need to know how to open it back up in order to change to efile?

NOTE:  I'll assume you didn't actually physically mail the return.  If you already physically mailed it, it's too late.

If you haven't actually filed at all, you can open the return interview back up, make any corrections if needed, and change the filing method.  

• Log into your account, and at the Tax Home or in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents" for 2021, look for a link "Add a State."
  • Click on "Add a State."  (That doesn't really add one; that's just to open the return.)
  • Once the return is open you should have a full left column menu.   As long as you haven't yet filed, if needed you can make any changes in your return you need to.
  • Then go through the REVIEW section to be sure everything is still in order.
  • Then go to the FILE section, go through the screens there, and change the filing method to efile.
  • Then continue on answering all the remaining screens and at the final step click a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now."

This FAQ may also have some info that will help:

FAQ:  How do I change from mail to efile in Online TurboTax?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...