Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 6:51:04 AM

I got supplemental bonus for travel and 40% tax was withheld. My W2 doesn't show the supplemental income or taxes withheld. Do employer provide this in W2 or any form?

I received my supplemental bonus as air tickets for travel to my home country. My 40% taxes were withheld. Now I received my W2 which doesn't include my supplemental income or 40% taxes withheld. Do employer provide this information in W2 or any other form? Also wanted to know if the taxes are 40% for supplemental income?

0 3 509
1 Best answer
Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 6:51:06 AM

The 'bonus' and the withheld taxes are required to be added to your W-2.

If it is not included on your W-2, you need to discuss it with your employer to have them send you a corrected W-2.

3 Replies
Level 9

The 'bonus' and the withheld taxes are required to be added to your W-2.

If it is not included on your W-2, you need to discuss it with your employer to have them send you a corrected W-2.

How about the tax percent on supplemental income. Is it 40%?

Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 6:51:08 AM

The amount your employer withheld can vary, but on your actual tax return, it is taxed at your regular tax rate.

So if you are in the 25% tax bracket, it would be taxed at 25%.  However, it is also subject to State taxes (whatever your State tax rate is) and your employer already withheld the Social Security and Medicare taxes (up to 7.65% total).