Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 4, 2021 11:02:16 AM

I entered exempt interest dividends for more than one state every way possible and the software keeps telling me it needs to be reviewed. How do I enter this correctly?

0 3 617
1 Best answer
Level 15
Feb 4, 2021 11:37:52 AM

@vinjmp13    Ahhhh  crap....

1)   IF you only have box 11 $$ on a 1099-DIV form, you probably have to have at least a  zero entered into box 1a....then it takes clears the "Review" issue

3 Replies
Level 15
Feb 4, 2021 11:32:35 AM

Ok...you could be referring to either box 8 $$ on a 1099-INT form, or box 11 $ $ on a 1099-DIV form.

So you enter the value that was indicated by the issuing provider....an which form is appropriate ( 1099-DIV or -INT)....then the follow-up page you can either:

1)  Leve it set at the only one state selection at the top, BUT Use the "Multiple States" selection in state selection box (it's at the end of the list of states) and move on....(don't check the box lower down on that page )

OR

2)  Same thing as #1, but make the second selection on that page "I earned exempt-interest dividends in more than one state"  to do display the boxes to do a break-down, for interest from:

a) your own state's bonds

b)  any US territory bonds

c) the remaining total is just  "Multiple States" 

(example below for NC)

3)   BUT if your state is one of the non-income taxiing states  (TX, WA FL..etc)   then you only do #1, since a breakdown as in #2, is immaterial.

Level 15
Feb 4, 2021 11:37:52 AM

@vinjmp13    Ahhhh  crap....

1)   IF you only have box 11 $$ on a 1099-DIV form, you probably have to have at least a  zero entered into box 1a....then it takes clears the "Review" issue

Feb 4, 2021 12:09:53 PM

Entering the zero worked.  Thanks for your help!