Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jan 27, 2020 3:40:31 PM

I am filing a 1099-MISC for a subcontractor. Can I use my SSN for "Payer's TIN"?

I am receiving a 1099-MISC myself but do not have an EIN.

0 3 375
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jan 27, 2020 3:54:58 PM

Yes, but you may want to get an EIN so you don't have to give access to your number.

You can apply for your EIN by fax, phone or mail; however, the IRS prefers that you submit your application online. When you do, you can receive your EIN immediately after completing the short application. Go to the IRS website to access the EIN Assistant page and click on “Begin Application” at the bottom to get started.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jan 27, 2020 3:54:58 PM

Yes, but you may want to get an EIN so you don't have to give access to your number.

You can apply for your EIN by fax, phone or mail; however, the IRS prefers that you submit your application online. When you do, you can receive your EIN immediately after completing the short application. Go to the IRS website to access the EIN Assistant page and click on “Begin Application” at the bottom to get started.

Level 1
Jan 27, 2020 4:08:34 PM

Thanks ColeenD3. Can I file for an EIN now and still use it for a 2019 1099-MISC?

Expert Alumni
Jan 30, 2020 8:29:59 PM

You should be able to use the EIN immediately and for filing the Forms 1099-Misc for 2019 if the business was in operation during 2019.

When you apply for the EIN on the IRS website, the SS-4 application ask for the starting date of the business.  If you're started a new business, enter the start date of the business. If the business you acquired is already operating, enter the date you acquired the business.