Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Feb 23, 2021 8:54:08 AM

I am being asked for Form 2553, but I have already filed it.

Before I can file, I get the message "Attachment Needed - Form 2553. Since you are filing your S election when you e-file your tax return."

BUT I have already filed the Form 2553 and am already recognized as S-Corp. I went back through everything and couldn't find any questions asking me if I needed to file the 2553 or not.

0 18 2312
18 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 2, 2021 9:33:22 AM

Try going over what was entered in the BUSINESS INFO tab. This is the specific area in the Step-by-Step Interview that would have those details.

You would have been asked for the date of incorporation and whether the S election was effective on a different date or not.

After these questions are answered, then you will be asked if the S corporation election has already been filed.

@nbkl5v5

Returning Member
Mar 10, 2021 10:28:58 AM

I made sure to answer correctly in the BUSINESS INFO but it is still asking me to file the 2553. @KathrynG3 

Mar 15, 2021 7:58:05 PM

Ditto!!!

Returning Member
Apr 2, 2021 1:56:10 PM

@aTmAlaskan has anyone figured this out yet?

Level 1
Apr 13, 2021 8:00:32 AM

In place of the 2553, I uploaded a note explaining there is a glitch in TurboTax requiring an attachment and noted my date of incorporation and the date of my S-election approval letter. It went through.  [aka. NO, Intuit has not solved this.]

Sep 29, 2021 6:55:00 AM

On the phone with Turbotax for an hour and a half. No resolution. I was told that I have to reach out to the IRS which is clearly not the case. Very disappointed in this service. 

Mar 11, 2022 9:29:20 AM

I am having the exact same issue -- on 2021 -- so it looks like this never got resolved from last year.

Do I have to change my date of incorporation from the date of my LLC incorporation in my state to the date I elected to become an S corp instead? That doesn't seem right...

Expert Alumni
Mar 12, 2022 5:03:57 PM

You need to review the answers to your questions regarding your election date under the Business Info tab and About Your Business.

To do this please follow these steps:

1. Within your return click on the Business Info tab
  2. Click About Your Business
  3. Scroll down and click Edit on the section that lists Date you incorporated
  4. Verify your incorporation date and Continue
  5. Answer the next questions regarding your election date and business start date and Continue through
  6. On the Form 2553 screen choose Yes, it already made the S corporation election

@JETAR

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2022 8:01:13 AM

@AliciaP1  Followed your directions but I didn't get the option to select that I have already made the election.

Having the same problem as everyone else.  

Expert Alumni
Mar 13, 2022 6:42:03 PM

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

At the top menu in the black line at the top of the page go to Online. 

1. From the menu, select Send Tax File to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click Send and then you will get a Token number. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@gstephen

Returning Member
Mar 14, 2022 7:06:45 AM

Not sure this will work for everyone / was the right thing to do but this is what ended up working for me.  I went under the "Forms" menu item, located form 2553 in the left menu bar,  and deleted it.  After I did that I was able to efile and has since been accepted by the IRS.

@AliciaP1 

Mar 14, 2022 5:23:33 PM

token 956986.  I have the same issue.  I tried deleting the form but it isn't working

Level 8
Mar 14, 2022 7:48:38 PM

I am assuming this is only occurring for those who stated this is the first year filing as an S Corp. If a blank 2553 or partially filled out 2553 is already in the forms, just delete it and see if it works. 

Mar 14, 2022 10:00:36 PM

I am having the same issue as everyone here. I already filed a 2553 and IRS has mailed back an acceptance letter of my s corp election. I’ve been trying to figure how to delete the 2553 form. I called Turbo tax but no help. It’s very simple, we just need to know how to DELETE 2553 from our return so that we can proceed to efile. Can someone please help? 

Expert Alumni
Mar 15, 2022 3:39:04 PM

@DOUBLETT  

To Delete a form:

1. Select Tax Tools from the menu on the left

2. Then select Tools

3. When the new menu pops up select Delete a Form

4. You will see a list of all the forms in your return

5. Find the form that you want to delete

6. Select the Form

7. Click Delete on the right  

Tax forms are interconnected.  While you are on this screen don’t start deleting forms you don’t recognize.

If the form can't be deleted using this method that means that there is an answer to a question in the system that is generating the form.  You will have to go back through the information section and check the dates entered, etc.

Returning Member
Apr 7, 2022 11:27:04 AM

Toke Number 989257

Already filed the form, thinking of just uploading the letter from the IRS there in exchange.

Jun 4, 2022 4:22:31 PM

That is what i did

Jan 25, 2023 12:46:58 PM

Same thing is happening for the 2022 tax year. 

Went back and made sure the "about info is correct" and selected "yes" that the 2553 was already filed.

Seems like the SW is reversing the logic, but the answer to the question is "yes".  Interesting that it remembers some answers but does not remember this one when going over the form again.

Filed on Jan 25th 2023 and uploaded the IRS letter establishing S Corp status as others suggested.

How is this not fixed after at least two years ?