Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 4, 2022 5:37:03 PM

How To OPT OUT of AUDIT DEFENSE

If you are like many of us ...trying to figure out how to OPT OUT of the pre-determined choice by Turbo Tax for $45...has been challenging!  There have been many suggestions etc and Alot of confusion. But this worked for me:

Within TurboTax, simply go to

-SHOW TOPIC LIST (Black Tab / Top Right)

-Select #4 REVIEW / Audit Defense  **Note it may be hiding under the Review Your Return / Analysis / Smart Check drop down arrows

- This will take you to Audit Protection Risk Results page -- Select Continue to next page

-You can now select NO THANKS for the Audit Defense @ $45

When I got to the end of my return & ready to file it had been removed from the misc. added charges. 

ALSO -- Turbotax initially states that its Free to File Federal but State filing is $20 ... when I went to make the credit card payment ..it was now $25 - ?!! 

0 4 1138
4 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Apr 4, 2022 6:04:39 PM

By any chance are you in California? 

Also, the discount for Turbo Tax ended on March 31st, there for the e-filing fee is now $25. You can find this information on our website.

Intuit Alumni
Apr 4, 2022 6:05:35 PM

By any chance are you in California? 

Also, the discount for Turbo Tax ended on March 31st, there for the e-filing fee is now $25. You can find this information on our website.

Apr 6, 2022 2:08:13 PM

Hello.  No I am not in California...why do you ask?

Regarding the e-filing fee...  it may show the discount on the website; but when I was within the Turbotax software...I thought I saw state e-file of $20. I had asked my husband if he wanted to pay $20 to e-file or simply mail the returns this year. -  ?? 

Intuit Alumni
Apr 9, 2022 7:34:23 AM

You may need to contact customer service directly for assistance about charges. Please see the following information here for more details.