Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 8, 2021 4:58:59 AM

How can i speak with the irs

0 3 349
3 Replies
Level 15
Mar 8, 2021 5:00:15 AM

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Mar 8, 2021 5:56:53 AM

Everytime I do this it says do to the high call volume your call can not go through. I have done this for hours last week and 2 hours today.

Expert Alumni
Mar 8, 2021 7:08:37 AM

Your only option is to keep trying. Use @DoninGA 's instructions above.The worst times to reach them are Mondays and Fridays. Best times are early in the day on Wed - Thursday. Other folks may have experienced differently.

Unfortunately, this has been the case for some time - it is extremely difficult to reach the IRS during normal tax seasons and the work limitations of COVID-19 have made it even worse. 

Some IRS local offices may be taking physical appointments. See IRS Local Office Locator for additional information.