Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 9:29:02 PM

Gross income adjustment

The page "Gross Income Adjustment" asks to enter any adjustment either negative or positive. I don't know what to do here. Does the calculated amount include the wages, dividends, etc.? Is the amount shown here usually correct?

0 2 1215
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 9:29:04 PM

It depends on the state.  This screen appears in state returns.  Most "normal" items are automatically adjusted in TurboTax.  However, if you have rental income, Self-Employment income, or other income made in another state, you may have to make certain adjustments manually.  If all of your income comes from your home state, TurboTax probably has made the adjustments for you already.  However, if you wish to provide the state you live in, I'd be happy to provide more information on the what types of adjustments may apply to you.

2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 9:29:04 PM

It depends on the state.  This screen appears in state returns.  Most "normal" items are automatically adjusted in TurboTax.  However, if you have rental income, Self-Employment income, or other income made in another state, you may have to make certain adjustments manually.  If all of your income comes from your home state, TurboTax probably has made the adjustments for you already.  However, if you wish to provide the state you live in, I'd be happy to provide more information on the what types of adjustments may apply to you.

Returning Member
Mar 8, 2021 6:22:20 PM

I live in CA and have rental income in Oregon. 
What should I be entering on this page ("Gross Income Adjustment")?