Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Feb 23, 2021 8:49:55 PM

Does it matter who makes income if filing jointly?

When I was entering W2's I accidentally had told Turbotax that is was my wife's W2. 

Later I saw that and changed it to me, but when I changed that W2 to be mine my refund went down by about $700.  I would think if I am married filing jointly it wouldn't matter whose name it is assigned to to calculate taxes.  

She also had a W2 but she works part time and makes a fraction of what is on my W2. Out of curiosity I actually changed both her W2 and my W2 to my name and again I got the higher refund amount. 

So it's only when I assign the W2's to the right person that my refund goes down.  Does that make sense?

0 2 220
2 Replies
Level 15
Feb 23, 2021 8:55:26 PM

Yes that can happen because the amount of Social Security and Medicare tax withheld would all go to one spouse and could result in a refund of the excess.     When properly  assigned to the correct spouse there is no excess and no refund of excess.

Level 15
Feb 23, 2021 9:04:34 PM

Yes probably because of excess Social Security tax in box 4.

For 2020 the max for Social Security is $8,537.40 on $137,700 of wages PER PERSON.  If you entered both your and her W2s under the same name then box 4  was more than the max.