Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:11:05 PM

Do I need to send a check in the mail if I set up direct debit for my payment plan?

I was prompted to print off a form to mail in that says I need to send in my first payment on my payment plan. I set up direct deposit, do I still need to do this?

0 27 2358
1 Best answer
Level 4
Jun 7, 2019 3:11:08 PM

If you requested an installment agreement with the IRS on Form 9465, and indicated that you’ll make an initial payment with your return, this initial amount must be paid by check with the 1040-V voucher.  This is true even if you requested direct debit of future payments.  The IRS takes 30 days (longer after March 31st) to process the installment agreement request and begin the direct debit payments.

24 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:11:05 PM

If I requested a direct debit down-payment for a portion of my tax due and also requested an installment agreement on Form 9465 on the remaining balance, will that initial down-payment be processed as a direct debit or should I have submitted the down-payment in the form of a physical check sent with the 1040-V voucher?     Will the direct debit (bank routing/account #'s) I provided only be utilized for subsequent installment payments?    If I still have to send the down-payment separately, what is the quickest way to accomplish this as the IRS already has my return and is expecting my down-payment prior to their review for my installment agreement application??   Please Help!!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:07 PM

efiled my reutrn with installment agreement.  what do i need to send to irs

Level 4
Jun 7, 2019 3:11:08 PM

If you requested an installment agreement with the IRS on Form 9465, and indicated that you’ll make an initial payment with your return, this initial amount must be paid by check with the 1040-V voucher.  This is true even if you requested direct debit of future payments.  The IRS takes 30 days (longer after March 31st) to process the installment agreement request and begin the direct debit payments.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:10 PM

So IF I am Sending the check on the 4/20/2016, since the mail has already run, am I considered late?

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:11 PM

I called yesterday and spoke to a "tax expert" at turbo tax, who said I do not need to send a check...now I am worried that I should have sent one!  What is the real answer to this question, please!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:13 PM

You guys need to reword how that is written going through your check list process of payment to IRS!  I think there are many of us that did not understand this completely.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:14 PM

so now this is really confusing:  Do I need to mail a voucher if I paid my taxes electronically?
Answered by TurboTax

No. If you paid your IRS or state taxes electronically (direct debit, credit card, EFTPS, etc.) there's no need to print out and mail a payment voucher.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:16 PM

Rob8706 -- I think the bigger question which is giving people like me issues is ...  if I requested a direct debit down-payment for a portion of my tax due and also requested an installment agreement on Form 9465 on the remaining balance, will that initial down-payment be processed as a direct debit or should I have submitted the down-payment in the form of a physical check sent with the 1040-V voucher?      If I still have to send the down-payment separately, what is the quickest way to accomplish this as the IRS already has my return and is expecting my down-payment prior to their review for my installment agreement application??   Please Help!!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:17 PM

Can someone clarify this? I need to know whether I should send via mail, wait for the direct debit or pay manually on the IRS site? What should I do it I made set up a direct debit but have no confirmation or idea when/if the money will be taken.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:19 PM

Please Turbotax!  Answer the above question from rvan631 because I have the exact same question and need to know by tomorrow - tax day!!!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:20 PM

Hi All, I am the person who originally posted this question. From my experience: If you set up direct deposit with installments, or with a portion down then installments, you do not need to send a check in the mail. Pretty much, if you set up any sort of direct deposit installment, you do not need to send in a check in the mail. It is SUPER confusing, but I did it that way and had no issues with the IRS. Hope this helps!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:21 PM

Do you know if there is a way to confirm that i selected direct debit for everything even after it has been filed?

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:23 PM

Also, when you did yours.  Did you set up and installment plan AND Enter an amount for the DOWN PAYMENT.  If so, did it print out a voucher and the installment agreement and tell you that you needed to mail it?  This is what is so confusing about it.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:23 PM

Hi Taxiid- I do not know if there is a way to double check if you selected direct deposit. Maybe you can review what you did in Turbo Tax?

I set up an installment plan with NO down payment. I still had to print out the vouchers and installment agreement, it did tell me to mail it in. I did not mail it in because I set up direct deposit.

I THINK, that IRS form has not been updated to reflect the option of direct deposit, and that is where this confusion stems from. Hope this helps!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:25 PM

DO I MAIL A CHECK OR WILL THE DOWN PAYMENT BE DIRECT DEBITED IF SET UP THAT WAY???

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:25 PM

From my understanding the down payment will be taken out of your direct deposit once the IRS sets up your direct deposit. I didn't do the down payment, but that is what I understood from the plethora of directions and forms that were mailed to me about a month after I submitted my taxes.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:27 PM

So I submitted my down payment through direct pay on the IRS website 2 months ago when I got mail in my mailbox saying I was approved for my payment plan that will be taken out on the 17th once processed like I asked. So instead of waiting for a direct deposit or sending in a check...did I make a mistake? Will they take that amount again out of my bank account or will it credit the down payment and just start taking out the other payments starting next month on the 17th (the day of the month I asked for the payments to be taken)?

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:29 PM

When I was a few months into my payment plan, I sent in a large check seperate from my contracted payment plan, it took them awhile, but they credited my account, and adjusted my payment plan to be shorter. Just keep allllllll your documentation because they are slow.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:31 PM

@carlson.brenna My account records are showing on the site that they credited what I paid through the direct pay but I'm just wondering if they will count that as my initial payment (its the exact same amount as I said I wanted my initial payment as) or if they will still direct deposit that initial payment

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:33 PM

@carlson.brenna Also did your payment plan start when you wanted it to? I got accepted for the payment plan back in february and asked to pay on the 17th so I thought I would get it taken out of my account today but it has not.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:34 PM

This whole thing is so bizarre!! We're the people who actually want to pay our taxes! They make it so god damn hard.

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:36 PM

@samanthqasaliba Wish I could help, but I do not know the answer to whether or not they will pull your initial down payment out on top of the check you sent in. They did pull my payment plan out on the day I requested, but I honestly can't remember if it came out starting in April, or in May...  sorry!

@ms_ericarose I agree, why are taxes so hard! All I want to do is the right thing, and I have messed up in one way or another a few times, luckily, every time I have had to call the IRS, they have been helpful and understanding of my attempts to get it right!

Jun 7, 2019 3:11:39 PM

Sooooooo do we make an initial payment with a direct debit payment plan, or not??

Level 3
Jun 7, 2019 3:11:41 PM

OMG I am so confused.  I submitted it and then it gave me a payment voucher to mail.  Why would I even need this when I gave my bank account info?  Also, I just saw that if I'm paying within 120 days I wasn't supposed to file a form 9465?  Why is this so confusing??  Am I supposed to mail in a payment or no?