Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:53:53 AM

Can I merge two intuit accounts, e.g a Mint account and TurboTax account? Both are associated with the same email address, but have separate usernames/passwords.

5 54 30926
24 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:53:54 AM

At this time, there is no way to link or merge those two accounts if you have different usernames and passwords for each of them. Please see below for more details on why this measure is in place.

Note: If your Mint and TurboTax accounts have different user IDs/passwords, you won’t be able to import from Mint. However, you may still be able to import the same documents into TurboTax directly from your financial institutions (and keep the benefit of any potential year-over-year transfer in your already existing TurboTax account).

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5946126

Level 2
Jan 14, 2020 5:00:52 PM

If accounts have the same username and password, can they be merged? Separate accounts were established before Intuit owned them all. Example; email address1 is username for account 1 (Quicken and MINT).

email address 2 is username for account 2 (Turbotax). If I change the email address/username on account1 to match account2, can they be merged?

Intuit Alumni
Jan 19, 2020 9:25:52 AM

No, you wont be able to merge these accounts. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-management/help/can-i-merge-my-accounts/00/27136

Level 2
Feb 12, 2020 1:18:30 PM

Is there any plan for implementing the ability to securely (likely having ownership fully verified [possibly with multiple factors] for both accounts before being able to proceed) merge two accounts in the future?

Expert Alumni
Feb 12, 2020 1:29:07 PM

There are no plans at this time to allow merging accounts.

Level 2
Feb 12, 2020 1:36:35 PM

Understood. I appreciate the fast update.

Consider me (among others, I'm certain [I've seen it discussed for years with Mint's support, TurboTax's support, directly via Intuit, etc.]) still looking forward to this eventually being worked on as a new feature/possibility. +1

Level 1
Feb 23, 2020 2:59:22 PM

It sounds like there's some technical reason why this can't be done automatically. However, is there any way I can accomplish this manually? I'm thinking something like (DON'T do this without confirmation):
1. Delete one of my intuit accounts (both are using the same email but not same password or account). 

2. Recreate my account with the proper linking.

3. Re-add all linked accounts to mint or lose history in turbotax, whichever was deleted in step 1.

However, I don't actually know what the deletion/recreation process is or if any of that would work. So question stands - if I am willing to do some manual work, can I accomplish merging of both accounts?

Level 15
Feb 23, 2020 3:02:08 PM

There is NO way to merge or link accounts.

Level 3
Jul 9, 2020 12:58:14 PM

I really need to merge my accounts.  I'll point out that the login page specifically calls out "One Account. Everything Intuit."

Jul 11, 2020 11:09:49 AM

I really want to merge them too.  I have pretty much stopped using mint because this is such a pain.  It is like Intuit wants us all just to move off the platform all together.  If we have to delete our accounts and reenter the info we sure are not going to do it on intuit again!

Level 15
Jul 11, 2020 12:59:13 PM

I believe one of the main reasons is that IRS regulations for e-file providers require maintaining tax records separate from other record for at least 7 years.  I do not see how it would be possible to merge accounts and be in compliance with IRS rules.

Also, even if the same ID and PW there is no guarantee that both accounts have information for the same person.  It again would be a violation of IRS rules to mix tax information for two different persons.

Level 3
Jul 11, 2020 3:20:13 PM

This POV about IRS regulations is interesting.  Why would the login screen for TurboTax proclaim "One account.  Everything Intuit." if the intention was not to allow all of this information under the same account?

Level 15
Jul 11, 2020 4:38:56 PM

That is a question to ask Intuit marketing.     I suspect that they mean that you can have a  single ID and login that works with each, but each has a separate portal.    I suppose that they mean that is the same "Intuit" account.

Sep 25, 2020 9:05:36 PM

Except in my case I just wanted to log into my old Mint account and I get the one account all intuit BS and reset my password then says something is wrong. It's a joke. Now I remember why I went to taxact in the first place. Oh well. Buh bye

Jan 7, 2021 4:09:52 AM

"At this time" lol... there will NEVER be a time. 

They just take take take -  and they let us do all the work for them! 

After trying to change over to Quickbooks online,  instead of "self-employed", after all my tedious hours of organizing transactions... I found out that I can't just simply migrate all my data over internally. 

Nope.  Support suggested this complicated export process, which is so frustrating it'll bring tears to your eyes!    Both apps are made by the SAME developers.  Just do a LITTLE bit of work INTUIT. Please. 

Level 1
Jan 15, 2021 9:54:42 AM

This needs to be fixed for users that had Mint before Intuit ownership.  I should be able to link my Mint information with my Intuit information and consolidate the login process.  Ridiculous it still hasn't been addressed

Level 3
Jan 15, 2021 12:52:23 PM

boarder, I am with you.  Intuit has been sending me multiple emails to log in and begin my taxes, but I'm seriously considering moving on to another company.  I have multiple years of taxes in my original account that are not linked to my tax account last year after the merger of Intuit and Mint.  Not a peep out of them either with any help to resolve this complete mess. 

Level 15
Jan 15, 2021 1:02:29 PM

In addition to this TurboTax FAQ, it would be almost impossible to comply with Federal Privacy laws and the regulations for e-file providers if account merging was allowed.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-management/help/can-i-merge-my-accounts/01/27136

Level 1
Jan 15, 2021 1:05:47 PM

That may make sense for merging TurboTaxAccount1 and TurboTaxAccount2.  I want to merge my only Turbotax account with my only Mint account (which has nothing to do with taxes, and I would say makes this point irrelevant).  When both sites take me to Intuit signin I should be able to change my Mint account to use the same login as my Turbo tax account

Level 15
Jan 15, 2021 1:09:58 PM

TurboTax is regulated by the government since it is a tax software company, Mint is not.  Different privacy rules.    TurboTax has addressed this in the past  and it is just not going to happen.  This has been asked more then 10 years and the answer is no merger.

Level 3
Jan 15, 2021 2:50:22 PM

This makes no sense whatsoever and sounds like lawyers are providing the answer. It is also not customer focused at all.  I would guess Intuit bought Mint at least in part because they were disrupting parts of the financial industry and Intuit was falling behind in that area.  Every successful disrupting company is INTENSELY CUSTOMER FOCUSED.  This answer is not customer centric at all.  If I cannot effectively use these two accounts together, there is really no reason to stay with Intuit.  This is about merging MINT and INTUIT accounts.  The companies were merged; so should be the accounts. 

Level 3
Jan 20, 2021 6:08:12 AM

Another data point that proves Intuit is not customer centric.  I have been commenting on the need to merge accounts for the better part of 2020, and I have NEVER been contacted by anyone at Intuit.  No apology. No explanation. Nothing.  During that same time, they had no problem reaching out to me with dozens of automated marketing messages "congratulating" me with attaining a new level on this forum, as if stroking my ego was somehow what I needed instead of an answer to a REAL problem they caused.

Recently, I have been receiving urgent messages to "login to my Intuit account" for my 2020 taxes.  They clearly value my annual payment, but do they actually value me as a customer?  I don't think so.

So come on, Intuit.  Reach out with someone who can give me a real answer, not an ill-prepared CSR with a canned answer hiding behind corporately approved language.  You might actually gain a customer for life. BTW, this is the main measure of most disrupting companies:  Lifetime Customer Value.

And yes, this can actually be done.  I work for a $30+B company with over 500M transactions per year.  We contact every single customer who takes the time to complain about one of our products or our services.

Level 15
Jan 20, 2021 6:11:54 AM

@Gary Hudman 

Contact TurboTax support and speak with an agent concerning this issue.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

Or -

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Or -

On every TurboTax web page, including this one, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us

Level 2
Jan 20, 2021 9:16:19 AM

It seems weird that it's being stated that it's the nature of each company that prevents merging from being possible (as in @macuser_22's recent reply [and then in their post before that they point to a FAQ while staying it's a federal privacy concern while the FAQ they're referring to says nothing about it being a federal limitation.])

I say this because someone can create a new account now to have it work as a single sign-on across each. So it's not a hard limit that they can never work together.

If it's a matter of a previous policy being agreed to upon the past accounts being created not allowing for them to work together, why can't there be a new policy shown for the user to then agree to in order to proceed with the merge which then alleviates any issues between the services having different policies that were agreed to in the past (again, with a single sign-on otherwise existing showing it should be doable)?

If it's a matter of making sure the merge process is secure & privacy-centric, why can't there be a verification process that sufficiently confirms access & the identity of both accounts before being able to merge the accounts?

I'm just missing out on what exactly is the real reason this isn't being done (with the reasons being presented so far not really making all that much sense or otherwise not having a way to address the issue to then be able to still offer the merge capability [outside of them just not taking the time to do it being the fallback reason.])