Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Jun 8, 2022 9:59:00 AM

can i make a change to my 2021 filing i submitted?

Hi I am a server and recently learned that my state does not tax server tips. On Turbo Tax it asks at one point whether you have more tips to report, and I have said no the last two years because I did not want to get double taxed on the same money (my work already taxes my tips when they are earned). I just learned that I misunderstood what the system was asking me, and that I could have gotten money back, rather than paid more, if I had reported my tips. Is there a way for me to change this on my 2021 filing that I have already submitted? I think it would have a serious impact on the dollar value of the return.

Thank you!

0 3 294
3 Replies
Employee Tax Expert
Jun 8, 2022 10:04:17 AM

Hi @tmooney13 , the short answer is yes, you can change this, but you will need to file an amended return.  Here is a link that explains what's needed to do this. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/amend-return/how-to-file-an-amended-return-with-the-irs/L6kO691J8

Since you used TT software you should be able to login and amend your return directly within the software. 

All the best!

Employee Tax & Finance Expert
Jun 8, 2022 10:06:46 AM

Hi.  You can file an Amended tax return for 2021.  If you log into TurboTax and go to Amend my Return you would be able to make any required changes to your original return.  You can then file the Amended return for Federal (Form 1040X) and state if necessary.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Returning Member
Jun 8, 2022 10:08:12 AM

Thank you!!