Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:03:41 PM

What medical equipment is deductible - can I deduct my scooter and hospital bed purchase?

1 3 9311
1 Best answer
Jun 7, 2019 3:03:41 PM

Yes, you can deduct the scooter and hospital bed as a medical expense on your Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. 

The scooter is an assistive device and facilitates mobility for those wishing to remain independent but who endure disabling or crippling medical conditions.

In addition to prescription eyeglasses and hearing aids, you can deduct power chairs, scooters, braces (arm/leg/wrist), wheelchairs, special shoes and other similar devices that require approval by a medical doctor, dentist or other health care provider. Be sure to request and keep copies of medical or dental letters confirming your need for assistive devices. Also, get a receipt from the equipment supplier. If you make a co-payment, use a check and make the entry in your check register.

Additional Resources:

3 Replies
Jun 7, 2019 3:03:41 PM

Yes, you can deduct the scooter and hospital bed as a medical expense on your Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. 

The scooter is an assistive device and facilitates mobility for those wishing to remain independent but who endure disabling or crippling medical conditions.

In addition to prescription eyeglasses and hearing aids, you can deduct power chairs, scooters, braces (arm/leg/wrist), wheelchairs, special shoes and other similar devices that require approval by a medical doctor, dentist or other health care provider. Be sure to request and keep copies of medical or dental letters confirming your need for assistive devices. Also, get a receipt from the equipment supplier. If you make a co-payment, use a check and make the entry in your check register.

Additional Resources:

Nov 19, 2021 1:14:04 PM

Awesome information and good news. How about the trailer hitch and carrier I purchase to transport my scooter to destinations. Any of that tax deductible? Thank you again! Great resource.

Level 15
Nov 19, 2021 4:31:29 PM

From the IRS pub : https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

CAR
You can include in medical expenses the cost of special
hand controls and other special equipment installed in a
car for the use of a person with a disability.