Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 26, 2024 8:50:06 PM

Turbotax for 2023 has some bug in its does not give me an option to claim dependent care credit. We both earn income and child had to be in a camp. No problems in 2022

I've been using turbotax for several years and this is the first year when turbotax does not allow me to take child care credit.   It does not even have an option for people who' earned income' just asks if we were full time students or disabled.  When I said no, it said I don't qualify for dependent care credit while I know I do..  

0 2 909
2 Replies
Level 15
Feb 26, 2024 9:01:17 PM

Have you entered your income? You have to enter your income before you can get the dependent care credit. TurboTax doesn't know that you both earned income until you enter that income. The fact that it's asking you if were a full-time student or disabled suggests that you have not entered your income.

Level 15
Feb 26, 2024 9:02:41 PM

If the program is asking whether you are full-time students or disabled, then you haven’t entered your income correctly. For example, you might have assigned both your W-2 and your spouses W-2 to one person in the tax program, so the program thinks the other spouse does not have a W-2.  or, if you are self-employed, you must have a net profit in your business. If you have a loss, then you are not eligible to claim the credit.