Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Feb 23, 2022 9:11:39 AM

Repayment of APTC Due to Enrollement in NJ Marketplace Plan and Medicaid Health Plan

In 2021 unknown to me I was enrolled in both a New Jersey marketplace health insurance plan and medicaid. I believe this called enrolled in other qualified heath insurance. This apparently occurred during the transition from Healthcare.gov to the NJ Marketplan (GetcoveredNJ.gov)  even though I had estimated my income above the medicaid income limit.  I did return a form to medicaid July 2021 to terminate the insurance in when I was notified by the NJ Marketplace ,  but medicaid was still not terminated. 

NJ retroactively removed subsidy and I have to pay the  full premium to the insurance company for Oct, Nov, and Dec 2021 and is shown on the 1095-a  Will I have to repay additional subsidy to the IRS ?

0 3 310
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 24, 2022 11:26:41 AM

Most likely.  When you enter the 1095-A into your tax return the system will add any amount that you have to repay on to your tax bill.  So you'll find out pretty quick.

Level 2
Feb 24, 2022 12:33:33 PM

So the amount would be determined by the 1095-a entries into TT  and my income. Does the IRS use any other factors to determine the amount owned or  penalties ?

Expert Alumni
Feb 24, 2022 1:43:30 PM

Yes, the IRS also considers your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) when calculating your Premium Tax Credit (PTC) 

MAGI is adjusted gross income (AGI) plus these if any: untaxed foreign income, non-taxable Social Security benefits, and tax-exempt interest. For many people, MAGI is identical or very close to adjusted gross income. MAGI doesn't include Supplemental Security Income (SSI).