Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:46:16 AM

If my claimed dependent donated money to church organizations, can I claim those on my tax return?

My dependent donated monies to a church and received notices for those donations, do I claim these on my tax return since I am claiming her?  If so, any details on how?

0 3 2632
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 12:46:18 AM

The IRS only allows you to deduct charitable contributions that you personally funded, whether the contribution was made in your name or in someone else's. 

If your child or dependent makes a donation to a charity, you are not allowed to claim it as a tax deduction. This is true even if your dependent does not claim the contribution on his own tax return because he opts for the standard deduction rather than itemizing or claims exemption.

See the link below for additional information.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charitable-contribution-deduction...

3 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 12:46:18 AM

The IRS only allows you to deduct charitable contributions that you personally funded, whether the contribution was made in your name or in someone else's. 

If your child or dependent makes a donation to a charity, you are not allowed to claim it as a tax deduction. This is true even if your dependent does not claim the contribution on his own tax return because he opts for the standard deduction rather than itemizing or claims exemption.

See the link below for additional information.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/charitable-organizations/charitable-contribution-deduction...

Aug 26, 2021 7:25:50 AM

What if your child is in college and 100% of her funding is thru me, the parent. She does not work, nor file taxes, but she donated money through her credit card or debit account. The money is actually mine that I give to her to live on at college? Thanks

Level 15
Aug 26, 2021 7:53:55 AM

If you "gave" money to your daughter then it was her money to use the way she wanted to use the money.   You did not donate to a charity---she did.   You cannot claim your daughter's donation as your own.

And.....unless a person has enough itemized deductions to exceed their standard deduction, donations have no effect on the tax due or tax refund.